F6F-3 Hellcat, 1:33, Halinski 3-4/2000

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Dec 5, 2006.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Here is the view of the inside of the patch:

Attached Files:

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Here's how the joint turned out. Pretty tight.

Not that it really matters, as the root of the wing and the joint will end up covering it up. So this has really been an academic excercise!

Attached Files:

3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This is my fuselage progress so far. The red circle shows another line alignment problem with the kit. I also messed up and got the beginnings of a wicked banana forming on the first section aft of the cockpit. I hope to straighten that out in the next sections. Oh, well, school of hard knocks - I've got to learn to go slower and check these things before the glue sets!

Attached Files:

4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I looked at your thread (and the German one) after I saw what I had done, wondering if this was common. If you had not mentioned it, I would not have noticed yours. But yours goes the other direction, and a LOT less pronounced than mine! I think I must not have gotten the skin at the top near the headrest pulled forward the same on both sides, and it resulted in a twist.

We'll see ehat the next section holds....
  5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Crisis! Disaster!

Well, the next section did not help much, if anything it looks worse. Man this thing is a train wreck. I'm going to sleep on it right now, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to start over on this fuselage. I have a good nose section, and maybe I can cut the cockpit out of this and salvage it. And I can proceed with wings, landing gear, propeller and other sub-bits on this one while I wait for a replacement.

I know some might think I'm crazy, but I know how I am. I'll look at thing from now on and hate it because all I'll see is this mess. Oh well.

Attached Files:

6. hpept

hpept Member

What a pity, a hunchback Hellcat :cry:
    Next attempt will be surely perfect now that you know the weak point...
  7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

There was a fly in the ointment on that one!
    I sure am glad your going to give it another go.
    This is one of my most favorite planes!
    I love the shape, especially the cowling and wings, and then the color scheme.
    It is such a beautiful aircraft!
    Don't worry, the next one will be "The One"!

8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

OUCH! :( do try again - I love this plane too :)
  9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I'm pretty sure I know what happened. Just carelessness basically. I've already ordered a replacement kit, and will continue today with the wings. Now I'll have some extra spare parts, though I hope I don't need 'em!

Thanks for everyone encouraging me to continue. Frankly at thispoint there was no way I'd just toss it, and since at this time I'm in the "one model at a time" mindframe, I won't just switch off to something else.

I'm glad I didn't see y'all saying stuff like, "aw that looks fine, move along!". I'd begin to wonder about you guy's sanity! :grin:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

When you get the replacement, carefully cut out the panel line segment in front of the crunch. Then take the new pieces and same cut but without the crunch make them one whole piece aft of the cut out segment. Add some card stock/ stiff connecting strips to the segment with the cockpit in it and you should have enough form and stiffness to hold the new grafted on piece. Of course this might have been obvious, but just one solution to save an otherwise excellant build!
  11. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks, commander,

I'm not sure that'll do everything I need, as it's not just the crunch place that's the problem. That only happened due to the extreme slant on that whole section aft of the cockpit. Even if I cut out just ahead of it, I think I might still have an unslightly shift to one side. I think the upper pictures graphically show how bad the shift is.

But it's worth a test perhaps on a printed part from the scan - I could do a tack glued test fit and see. I had not thought of this - thanks!

If there was a way to cleanly replace that whole section from the cockpit back that'd be great, but then I'd be attempting a joint on the former and I don't know how that'd work. But again, maybe a trial fit with some printed parts to see.

I'm not completely ready to give up on the whole fuse, as I dread trying to cut the cockpit out and keep it usable, plus I'd have to figure out (AGAIN) how to deal with the improperly printed part that was spliced in. I'll have to have to try to cut that fragment out of this fuse and graft it in again to the new!

What an adventure.... I'm glad I'm doing this bonehead stuff now, while I've only been doing this a few months. It doesn't make me too mad or feel too bad. Hopefully I'll get it mostly out of my system now instead of 2 years into it! :grin:

12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks for the tips Carl, and I think I may try just that - definately with a lot of dry fitting this time.

I cut the crooked section off this PM and got a good clean result. Then I printed a new test part from the scan including the rear former and doubled up the skin in the front to mimick the glue strip. Dry fit and the seams look good, but the top over the rear cockpit bulkhead is a good bit looser than before. It's certainly possible that the scanned part is just a wee bit bigger. But at any rate when I've got this test section on and seams held up good and tight, it seems to me just about as crooked as before. So this makes me think I've got a problem that started even further forward and is rippling through. May have to redo the whole fuse. Got to study this some more....

13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

The former at the end of the cockpit is slightly turned.

Gently with a blade cut it free from the airframe. Clean the inside where it was scraping any excess glue off. Align your '12 Oclock' position of the rear former so that it does'nt line up with the '11 Oclock' position of the front former. This will straighten it. Apply the same to the rearward section.

Ensure the skin's '12 Oclock' position hits the former's '12 Oclock' position and that the plane's airframe lines up all the way to the back.

It's an easy fix. It's VERY salvagable as long as you are incredibly careful in deconstructing the 2 sections (rear and forward formers). A mear alignment problem.

edit: I can't believe I started to type this 20mins ago lol.
  14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Steve, I don't think that's it, unfortunately.

First, the rear former is quite locked together and well aligned with the rest of the cockpit structure. I'm pretty sure the problem started with the skin section on the FRONT former of the cockpit as I can see an almost imperceptable difference in the overhang of the skin at one side of the instrument panel - and that probably gets worse as it goes down the side.

And that seems to have made the one behind it shifted, as the top of that section is supposed to just meet the tops of the cockpit opening evenly, but they are not even.

And it just rippled through from there.

So there's just one thing to do, I'm afraid, and that's reskin it from the front. No big deal, judging from my cutting off the rear section, I'm sure I can cleanly get it all off the cockput structure - that structure is very solid!

Thanks again for everyone's support!

15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Well, I hope to redeem myself a bit after the fuse disaster. I've gotten most of the way through the wings today. Here's the completed one:

Attached Files:

16. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Wingtip, obviously. I think it turned out pretty good.

Attached Files:

17. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

And a view of the wheel well.

Attached Files:

18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Wings look good. Push on my friend, the tips and wells lookin' good too!
  19. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

That is a bit of an understatement! Very good job!
  20. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

But I can't see the lightbulb through the red glass - LOL. Looking great - press on with the fuselage repair when you can - this build is too sweet to lose!