F6F-3 Hellcat, 1:33, Halinski 3-4/2000

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Dec 5, 2006.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

My next project is well under way, and this is my first bought and paid for commercial model (the first of many - my stack is already accumulating!)

I know it's an older kit and maybe we don't need yet another build thread on this aircraft. But I intend on an abbreviated one, hitting the highlights and mentioning any problems I see along the way. Look up Golden Bear's excellent thread for more detail.

This kit numbers about 400 parts on 4 color cardstock sheets and 1 paper sheet to laminate to 1mm stock for structural bits. There's also about 1/2 page of paper parts that are rolled around various pieces of wire (0.7 and 1.7mm wire is called for).

This is supposed to be one of Halinski's easier kits currently in print so I felt like it was a good starter for the genre.

Attached Files:

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Motor already finished! I really like this motor design. It looks pretty good but is a simple build, actually simpler than it looks. The back row of cylinders is printed on the rear plate, and the front row are actually half cylinders glued to the plate. But the effect is fine, particulary when cowled. I think some of the vendors are going overboard on motors these days. I've got the Halinski P-47 Thunderbolt kit and it has a fully 3D 18 cylinder motor - over 300parts just for the motor! Now I think I like doing motors, but that's a bit over the top.

Attached Files:

3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Miscellaneous nose section parts.

Attached Files:

4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Here we encounter our first small problem. As printed it looks like the air intake screen on former C is not going to cover all the area at the back of the intake.

Attached Files:

5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Here's my solution. Fortunately I scanned most of the kit (probably will not do that again, as the colors are crap - maybe just the black and white bits, just in case ;) ), so I had a digital copy of former C and was able to cobble together a larger version of the screen area, print it on paper and stuck it on.

Attached Files:

6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Finshed nose section. It won't win any prizes, but it's good enough for me right now. I had a devil of a time getting the skin parts onto the glue strips - they were almost all VERY tight! I'm sure it's something I did wrong. :grin:

Also note that there are alignment problems with several printed lines, even though the top center lines are all lined up. I think this is the kit, since all the pics I've seen of other folks builds seem to have the same thing. So I'm callin' it OK. :)

Attached Files:

7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

What are you talking about? This is great so far! You're off to a great start! I hear you about the engines. If you're going to cowl it over, it doesn't make much sense to do it with complete 3d. Even Kancho's squared off cylinders look great when viewed thru the 3-4mm slots and ovals that are partially blocked by the prop blades. Once again congrats on a great start!
  8. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks commander!

At least this one's got a great big gaping whole up front, so at least you can see quite a bit of it, but one row is enough.

I know my conscience won't let me leave something like a row of cylinders unfinished, so I'll be suffering whenever I get to a 2 row motor! It's a good thing I like detail stuff!

9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Forgive me if I'm wrong............. but isn't there an alignment problem with this model?

I think it occurs not too farther in the build, on the back of the cowling.

I might be thinking of another maker.

10. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

your work its outstending

are u send this fighter to patrol missin with my b17 :p
  11. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Exhaust marks on the bottom of the fuselage are missaligned on one side.
    Halinski included the corrected part with his P-39.
  12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

No, your participation is always MOST welcome! What is the alignment problem by the way? Is it that the cowl doesn't fit as tight without them? I'm using strips.

13. Wily

Wily Member

Golden bear -

Please don't take offense to this, but your landing gear covers are on incorrectly - did the instructions specify this?

The gear covers go on the inside, not the outside.
  14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Oh yeah, THAT'S the one. I've got the replacement part from the Airacobra kit - challenge will be to splice it in without seams! (They printed only a fragment of the part not the whole thing - not enough room).

15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Yeah, I see that. I mentioned it further up and I think every one I've ever seen has this problem. I think I can confidently say that this one is not builder error! ;)

16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

WOW! Carl goofed :) Looking at some of my builds I see I made at least one of them that way too.... heh heh
  17. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

A Cockit for the HellKitty

Work continues apace, and we have here a nearly completed cockpit, except for the upper stringers and inner skins, which just hide everything. I really enjoyed doing the cockpit. Halinski does a superb job with cockpit detail and everything fits like a dream! I'm very pleased with how this part turned out.

I had 2 pleasant surprises with this stage. First I use Fibracolor markers for edge color and was shocked to find that #34 is pretty much as close to a perfect match for the green in the cockpit as you'd ever likely find in a marker. Cool!

Second, I'm noticing that the card stock on this printed kit bleeds marker much less readily than the stuff I buy at the store. I wonder why that is? At any rate, it's good news.

Attached Files:

18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Rear cockpit former. I show this mainly because most of the detail gets totally hidden behind the seat once assembled. :(

I almost didn't bother with some of it, particularly the fire extinguisher canister. Besides a bad case of OCD, I wanted to try a technique for rolling the thin paper on the wire so I chalk it up to practice! I'll need it come landing gear time.

Attached Files:

19. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I'm not going to show all the gory details (this is an abbreviated thread, right? :) ), but here is the area Bowdenja was speaking about being out of alignment. The replacement part from the Airacobra kit is shown so you can easily see what's wrong.

This situation brings up a couple of questions in my mind, I'd be interested if anyone has any extra insight. First, this kit is pretty old, back to year 2000. Does the fact that I have one with a bad part mean they only printed ONE run of this? Is that typical or depend on how popular a subject is? I read somewhere here that publishers might only print 1000-1500 kits at a time. So does this mean there were only that many Hellcats ever made by AH? If so, this is a smaller niche than I imagined. But the alternative would be more disturbing, that they'd be so lax as to not bother fixing it in subsequent printings.

Just wondering...

Attached Files:

20. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I picked a different method to splice the new fragment in than described by Carl above. Here's what I did:

• Cut out the corrected fragment and the original part
    • Tack glue the new fragment in the right position on TOP of the old part with just enough glue to keep it from moving, just a couple of tiny glue dots near the middle.
    • Very carefully, using the edge of the new part as a guide, cut the old section out. In theory then you should have exactly matching cuts.
    • Pull the old mid section off the bottom of the new fragment
    • Butt glue the 3 sections together
    • Just to be safe, I glued small strips of regular weight printer paper to the inside of the joint for extra strength.

Attached Files: