F1 Exhaust Detailing

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by George B, May 30, 2007.

1. George B

George B Senior Member

I applied a dry brush "weathering" technique to the F1 engine bells to simulate the detail on the real ones. It's not as dark as what the photo shows however.
  2. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

That looks GREAT. I can't tell the difference. Nice technique!

3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Uh... Which one is the model? :D
  4. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Good job! I know from my tapletop miniature painting days that a good dry-brush technique can be both a pain in the ass to get down and a godsend in improving the look of paint on models. Looks like you've got it down!
  5. Clashster

Clashster Member

Great job! You have really captured the essence of it!

6. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Looking great, was going to do something like that myself. Good job.
  7. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

VERY cool. Nice work!
  8. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Very realistic looking, George. Fine craftsmanship on the build of the engines also.
  9. dhanners

dhanners Member

That is amazing work! I downloaded the F1 engine when it was first offered, but have never gotten the nerve to attempt it. That so many fine modelers have not only built one, but have built FIVE of them amazes me no end. My hat is off to those who have done it.

Were I building five to stick on the bottom of a Saturn V, I would go the easy (and lazy) route and eschew all that external detail and cover the basic component outline with some type of foil or metallic paper. All the actual flight-article F1s sported a silvery "Foil-Batt" asbestos insulation that covered pretty much the entire exposed engine -- the nozzle, the nozzle extension and the plumbing and components up to the S-1C's thrust structure/heatshield.

Granted, such display hides a lot of detail, which sucks if you've gone to all that work.
  10. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Dhanners, what was the point of that insulation by the way?

Excellent work

John John
  11. dhanners

dhanners Member

The foil-batt insulation was for thermal protection, and to protect the engine exteriors from debris and flame. There are some excellent photos of batted F1s here:

In fact, John Duncan's site, www.apollosaturn.com, has lots of great photos and detailed information for those building F1s or the Saturn V.
  12. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

The Insulation was ther to help with boil off & to help keep the Florida heat out. Cold was never a issue.

Hope this helps answer the question,

There are some great photo's of it burning off, (On the NASA site, (LOL)).
  13. dhanners

dhanners Member

By mentioning "thermal protection," I didn't mean to imply that the insulation was meant, in part, to help protect the F1's exterior components from cold. Rather, five F1s generated a lot of heat, so that was what I meant by "thermal protection."

Just wanted to make sure I was clear on that....
  14. One word- KUDOS
  15. George B

George B Senior Member

16. dhanners

dhanners Member

I wonder what that camera looked like afterwards....

Call me a sap, but it is impossible to watch that and not be utterly, jaw-on-the-floor impressed.
  17. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

WOW. Man, makes you appreciate the POWER of those engines.
  18. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

32 Million Horsepower EACH ... Gotta just LOVE the F-1. Watching the flames being sucked downward is really interesting.

I need to research the aerodynamics of the flat thrust structure. You'd think it would create immense drag as the vehicle accelerated, but perhaps the heat and thrust of the engines somehow cancelled it out. Does anyone here know?
  19. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Each F1 produced 1.5 Million pounds of thrust each, total, 7.5 million for liftoff. Still the bigest engine ever, none have done this since.
  20. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

The engine exhaust is higher pressure than the surrounding air, so you don't get the drag effect of a blunt rear to the object. The exhaust of all 5 engines essentially merges and to the surrounding airflow, the thrust structure looks like one big exhaust nozzle.