F1 cars a challenge to drive?

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by vette_7t9, May 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

I was at a competition yesterday and saw some F1 cars racing. THey look kinda slower than the touring sedan electrics, but I know they are RWD. Are they the benchmark of RC racing like real F1?
  2. pimp

pimp Active Member

f1 cars r the easiest rc and real life cars 2 drive or control
  3. dgmorr

dgmorr Member

The tamiya F1 cars are 4wd aren't they?
  4. Steve M

Steve M Member

The latest Tamiya F-1 cars are the F201 which are shaft drive 4WD, but Tamiya made the F103 chassis in the past and these were all 2WD.
  5. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

sorry I do not think F1 is actually easy to drive in real life. I think it is quite challenging. First of all they easily reach speeds of over 170+ mph on any regular course. Second, consider dealing with all the G-Force when you are driving, such as when you brake into a corner. You have to shift and maintain a good line. F1 is a challenge in real life. But RC is different, the driver is looking at the car, not controlling from within. I am sure if we were all small enough to drive RC cars from the cockpit, we would all die from the G forces. SERIOUSLY!
  6. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

you are right there vette. the only thing to scale about the rc cars is the size. if you scale the speed and g forces the human body would be in a bad way.
  7. pimp

pimp Active Member

f1 cars r the best handeling in the world they have the sharpest turning than any other car and if they were so challeging to drive there would be alot of dead people doing 300 and cant even control the car lol that would be kind of dumb to do that
  8. combatcm

combatcm Member

Yea, F1's are the best you can get. It you could choose or create any car for a course, everyone would end up with F1 cars.
  9. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

you are wrong there pimp. Real race car drivers all over the world agree that while the f1 is the fastest, most agile car for a race course it is also one of the most difficult to drive. You can barely see over the wind screen and have to rely more on peripheral vision to navigate corners. Traction control has made them alot safer, but dont be fooled F1 car drivers are killed and injured in very serious crashes every year. One of the primary reasons more are not killed all the time is due to the honeycombed carbonfiber/alloy cockpit that keeps the driver safer under extreem crashes. Watch an f1 race and see how many cars crash out. The only reason the drivers arent killed everytime is because of the way the cars are disigned to break up on impact and shead inertial forces into the broken peices instead of the drivers body. Do not think that because your favorite driver walked away from the crash that the cars are easy to drive, and just because they keep them in control at 300kph doesnt mean it isnt insanely difficult.

that being said I want one! sign me up im an organ donor!
  10. niner

niner Member

no pimp is perfectly correct. He was talking about handling, the difficult part is the reaction time it takes for that speed and handling ability. it is easy to drive until u r doig 300 kmh then things get complicated.
  11. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

have you ever raced any kind of car? Racing cars from formula1 all the way down to carts are increadebly twichy handling. At any speed they are twichy. the amount of steering wheel turn to streeing throw is extreemly exagerated, so the slightest movement causes a big amount of steering. All pure racing cars are like this, it is a common fact. Get in any racing cart (go cart up to formula)and you will soon learn what im talking about. I never disagreed they they have the best handling cause they do but it is difficult!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.