F unit control stands

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I'm thinking of making a facsimile cylindrical control stand like those used in many F units and early Geeps. It'll house the power pack for my model railroad. I have a number of photos of stands like this but would really like to know dimensions such as the diameter of the base and the total height of the stand. I've seen a three foot long, one foot in diameter stove pipe that might make a good starting point but I wonder if the real control stands aren't larger than that (?) Thanks for your help!
Ralph

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Control Stand

Hi Ralph, Its got to be at least 20-25 years ago but I remember an article that was either in MR or RMC about building just what you are talking about. It even had a momentum throttle and brake built into it. Perhaps you can use the index on the "other site" (Trains.com) to find it. The guy that built it even had a 1/2 size F7 cab mockup to operate his layout from. Maybe this will give you a starting place if you can find the article.:)

Ralph - I've found a few photos of the insides of E&F units and I'll post what I've got. I may have to crop down the larger ones, but I'll try to save any detail.

Also, I don't own the copyrights to any of these, so I can't give permission for reproduction.

Attachments

• meat921.jpg
    meat921.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 126

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hey there Vic and BDC. Thanks for the help! WOW!!!!!!!!!
BDC I really appreciate your taking the time to include those photos!!! I've seen some pics of controls at a now defunct site about operator's manuals but your's are from more angles and show more detail. Best pictures of the gauges and dials I've seen and I was glad to see a view of the transition lever side of the stand. Thanks for including the shots of the brake. I'm still trying to decide whether I want to model that as well. I have a feeling that once I finish the throttle stand and gauge panel I'll want to keep going! I'll be sure to post some photos of this project once its done. Wish me luck!!
Thanks again!
Ralph
PS. Wish I was sitting in that lucky guy's chair! :)

Voice

Mar 2, 2001
central Iowa
Visit site
Ralph,
I remember the article about building a stand like this in MR. I don't know when, or what issue I read it in, but I'm pretty sure that I have it....SOMEwhere. (see, right now most of my mags are stacked in a closet....well, about 4 stacks about 3 ft high each). If you find out what issue its in, I'll try to find it for you.

Dick

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Thanks Dick!
Be careful while looking through those stacks in the closet. Every time I do that I get side tracked for hours and then come out with a dozen more projects in mind!
Ralph