F-84G Thunderjet

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by exzealot, Dec 15, 2008.

1. exzealot

exzealot Member

Here are pictures of the model with the gear in place. No nose weights are required since the cockpit makes it front-heavy.

NEXT: Landing Gear Doors - all 9 of them!

2. exzealot

exzealot Member

Some pictures of the model sitting its the landing gear. No nose weights were required since the cockpit makes the model front-heavy.

NEXT: The landing gear doors - all 9 of them!

3. Romanator

Romanator Member

Wow, this is certainly nothing short of awesome! It's really coming together now!:thumb:
  4. exzealot

exzealot Member

There are a total of 9 landing gear doors on this aircraft. 3 in the nose and 3 under each wing. It's hard to see the little "beaver tooth" in the front. The main gear doors were cut out from the wing outer skins, but the nosegear doors are new since they are split between fuselage sections. I didn't do much edge coloring. The model looks fine without it, but as you know, a little edging would make a huge difference. In the first picture, Neil Armstrong is watching from the distance.

Almost done!

5. exzealot

exzealot Member

The pilot seat is finished.

After building the seat, I realized that edge coloring was a must in this case.

This came out better than I had expected - in fact, the seat brought the cockpit to life.

6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Fantastic! Still can't wait although we must!
  7. exzealot

exzealot Member

Bombs are added and a couple of pictures showing the heads-up equipment..
  8. exzealot

exzealot Member

Here is how I make my canopies (since I don't have a vacform machine).

Picture 1 - Bottom and side view with 5 templates that corespond to the lines/numbers on the bottom.

Picture 2 - Side view is glued to a piece of wood.

Picture 3 - The side profile is ground on a disc sander and the bottom view is glued to the wood as shown.

Picture 4 - The bottom view is disc sanded to shape.

Picture 5 - Showing the sanded shape and templates

Picture 6 - A centerline is drawn to ensure that I don't sand this any further.

9. exzealot

exzealot Member

Making the canopy Part 2:

Picture 1 - Start grinding on the middle - keep checking the shape gage.

Picture 2 - Section 3 fits the wood form - continue will the remaining templates.

Picture 3 - The rough ground shape.

Picture 4 - The final sanded shape - ready to form..

Picture 5 - Heat thin plastic over 4 birthday candles until plastic sags, then quickly pull the plastic over the shape.

The plastic is left on the wooden form until the paper parts are glued to the outside and trimmed.

10. exzealot

exzealot Member

The model is complete!!!

It will take several posts to upload all the pictures.

11. exzealot

exzealot Member

More pictures...
  12. exzealot

exzealot Member

The last set of pictures...

Note the landing lights on the inboard landing gear doors!

I hope you enjoyed watching this come together as much as I had fun designing and building it.

This won't be my last effort.

Stay tuned!

13. Romanator

Romanator Member

Yeah! That looks awesome! :eek::eek: Great work kenlwest, I envy your skills :mrgreen:
    Good work with the canopy as well. I always manage to burn/ melt holes whenever I try. :mrgreen: Great model, start to finish. Thanks for showing us this amazing work.:thumb:
  14. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

Very cool Your way to build the canopy :eek:
    I want it !!!!! :mrgreen:
  15. Texman

Texman Guest

Now that is the work of a master. Wish I had that ability.

16. redhorse

redhorse Member

Excellent tutorial and great airplane! Thanks!
  17. gregh

gregh Member

Ken, all i can say is WOW!!!, grandsons saw the whole thread - loved the tutorial. And you guessed it ... they asked when i would build your plane for them. Again thanks again.
  18. josve

josve Active Member

Brilliant Ken!! Just brilliant!!
    Hats off to you!!
  19. oklacnw

oklacnw Guest

Beautiful, great work, and I like the way you made canopy. Terrific!
    Having worked on the F-84E in Europe in 1951-52 (22nd Ftr-Bmr-Sqdn.) I can really appreciate the detail you have put into this.
    Thank you for sharing,