F-84G Thunderjet

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by exzealot, Dec 15, 2008.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Most excellant, can't wait to have this in the "to do" file.
  2. exzealot

exzealot Member

Here are some pictures of how the nose section and landing gear bay is constructed. One of the challenges of this single-engine jet model is designing and building the nose section while trying to keep it free from bulkheads that close off the intake.

Picture 1 is the page of patterns required to build the nose section.

Picture 2 shows how the gear bay also serves as an air splitter. Note the half-bulkheads - these will help maintain the final shape.

Picture 3 is a top view of the inside assembly (holes for final landing gear alignment). The cone on the right is rolled color to the inside (intake side walls).

Picture 4 is the intake cone attached to the inner assembly.

Picture 5 shows how the circle on the end must be made as perfect as possible so that the outside skin (next posting) will wrap concentric to this opening.

3. exzealot

exzealot Member

Here are pictures of how the outer skin is constructed, gun ports added from the inside, then slipped over the top of the inner structure. Once satisfied with alignment (landing gear opening and concentric circles in the front), simply glue the rear bulkhead to the skin at the back. Then glue the skin to the inner structure at the landing gear bay opening. Finally, glue the circle ring at the front. Nose section is done. The nosegear that was shown in an earlier post will just slip into the hole openings as one of the final steps in the build.

4. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

great work ken !!!!!:thumb: i hope to see this for sale on chris"s site mate :thumb:
  5. Romanator

Romanator Member

Wow, excellent work so far. it is sure coming together. Can't wait to see more progress! :thumb:
  6. exzealot

exzealot Member

Building the tail section..

The first 2 pictures show how the engine cooling ducts (NACA ducts) on the side are constructed from the inside.

The engine assembly will fit in the tail later on. Note that the bulkheads have holes to accomodate this.

The tail is made up of 5 sections. My intent was to create the smoothest transition possible between sections. Too many sections would make the model a laborious build and appear chopped up, and not enough would make it look too simple. By choosing the break lines at strategic places on the model, you can disguise the breaks fairly well.

7. exzealot

exzealot Member

Next: Building the cockpit....

I took plenty of pictures for this, so I will have to describe it in several postings.

The first set of pictures shows the flat patterns required to build the cockpit section. A few closeups of the instrument panels.... Simplistic, but adequate.

8. exzealot

exzealot Member

Part 2 of the cockpit build...

Pictures 1 and 2 show the basic structure.

Picture 3 - the side panels and floor details.

Pictures 4 and 5 - the instrument panel and placement..

Pictures 6 - details added.

9. exzealot

exzealot Member

Part 3 of the cockpit build..

Picture 1 - parts that make up the left-hand wall

Picture 2 - the left wall is built

Pictures 3 and 4 - The left wall in place

Pictures 5 and 6 - Both walls in place with joystick added

Now, just add the exterior skin and the cockpit is complete.

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

There is nothing simplistic about this cockpit, excellant work! i may not be 1st in line but I'm definetly in! Keep up the great work!
  11. oklacnw

oklacnw Guest

Holy Cow! looks great.
  12. Major Walter Schmidt

Major Walter Schmidt Newbie Designer

I swear, they look like plastic! :eek:
  13. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

You weren't kidding were you. I can't believe you used the p* word!

That is one nice looking plane!

14. exzealot

exzealot Member

Made some progress...

Picture 1 - the nose and cockpit sections joined together.

Picture 2 - patterns to make the wing section

Picture 3 - details added to the inside of panels

Picture 4 - details as seen from the outside

Picture 5 - the completed wing section

Note: I was able to roll the joints (no pun intended) to the top if the fuselage on sections 1 and 2 - I couldn't avoid the last section. Also grayed out the joint lines between sections 1 and 2 - looks cleaner and more realistic.

15. exzealot

exzealot Member

Hopefully, these pictures will help future builders of this model.

Picture 1 - all 4 sections joined together

Picture 2 - the area behind the cockpit is still open - note that you get the "starving cow" look between sections - this is normal.

Picture 3 - the buildup of the canopy support (I don't know the official name), and a filler piece in front of the instrument panel.

Pictures 4 and 5 - overall views of fuselage so far...

16. exzealot

exzealot Member

Adding the wing assemblies and wing fillets.

Pictures 1 and 2 - The wings are butt-jointed to the fuselage. There are no internal structural peices through the wings or through the fuselage - the wings are stiff enough, and the accuracy of the fit between the fuselage and the wing is perfect.

Picture 3 - I added a little more dihedral to the wings since the last model was a little flat. Again, the excellent fit between the wings and the fuselage make the dihedral an automatic "given". No sense making things more complicated that they need to be...

Pictures 4 and 5 - The wing roots are added.

17. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

This is a beautiful looking model ken. You've done a superb job with the entire project.

18. exzealot

exzealot Member

A little more progress - getting close to the finish line...

The first 2 pics are just showing the wing tanks and underside of the plane.

Pictures 3 and 4 show the previously built nose gear now in place - doors will come soon..

The last picture is one of the main gear wheels.

Hopefully, I can have the main gears completed and installed this weekend, Stay tuned.

19. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

20. exzealot

exzealot Member

The rear landing gear is finished. The model was designed very light, so no wire was required. However, in order to make them stiff, superglue was used - normally this is something that I don't like to do with paper - it's very unforgiving.