F-84G Thunderjet

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by exzealot, Dec 15, 2008.

1. An excellent subject and judging from the raw paper model not a difficult model to make. A very good choice for a first subject. Lots of colourful schemes and several operators as well.

For some reason when I first saw this I thought "That will fly" - maybe an A3 version as a glider?

Congratulations to Maj Davenport - I think he's going to enjoy this.
  2. exzealot

exzealot Member

More progress:

3 views of the aircraft in the "in-flight" condition. The canopy is paper at this point - the final will be clear with full cockpit. Lots of little mistakes and opportunities for improvement on the full blown version to follow.

The last picture is what lipstick on a pig looks like.

3. exzealot

exzealot Member

Here are pictures of the pylons and bombs.

BTW, in the last picture you see the bottom seam lines on the fuselage sections. These will be rotated to the top (where the canopy opening will be). This will leave a clean-looking underbelly.

4. oklacnw

oklacnw Guest

Looking good! (loved the pig)
  5. exzealot

exzealot Member

To all,

Well, I just finished the in-flight build of the Thunderjet. Attached are the pictures. This one will sit on my desk at work. I am very happy with the results so far, and I believe I have developed techniques that are reliable, although they are a bit time-consuming.

Next steps:

Cockpit, seat, & canopy..
    Landing gear and open bays..

I have not yet decided whether or not to open the front gun compartment... we'll see

6. oklacnw

oklacnw Guest

Beautiful! Why not leave the gun ports closed and put "tape" over them as was done on the 1:1 plane? When guns fired the tape was blown (shot thru) away.
  7. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Beau-Ti-Ful ...
  8. bclemens

bclemens Member

Elegant! A fine design and a nice clean build.
  9. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Very nice indeed.
  10. sakrison

sakrison Member

11. Romanator

Romanator Member

Wow, an excellent model. American jets like this aren't necessarily my favorite subject, but this one is sure an exception!!!:thumb:
    I envy your skills, especially because (from what I understand) pepakura is not a good program for making cylinders. The detail there is exceptional as well. :thumb:

I am looking forward to seeing this model for sale or download. :mrgreen:
  12. exzealot

exzealot Member

Thanks for the kind words and comments.

Currently, I am working on the front landing gear. This is a Swiss Watch. I am trying to design it so that I can reduce the complexity of the support wire required. However, my prefered method would be to design it so that a wire is not required since the model tends to be tail-heavy. I will be posting something soon.

As far as Pepakura is concerned, I have not noticed it having trouble with cylinders. But, the only strange aspect is that Pepakura doesn't hold the scale from the original data file. (It changes the scale). To overcome this, I just import a square with a known dimension into Pepa.., and then use it later to rescale the flat patterns. I hope that makes sense.

13. fructose

fructose Member

Pepakura has the bad tendency of just trying to fit a model to one piece of paper. If you know the total length of your model, you can enter that in one of the scale options in the 2D window menu. It can go to the mm, so you can get pretty accurate with your scaling.

BTW, this is looking better all the time. I'd love to build it!
  14. bclemens

bclemens Member

I always import an 8 1/2 x 11 inch rectangle into Pepakura with every part in my design (because that's the size of the paper I design to). Then when it unfolds, I scale the part(s) in Pep such that the rectangle exactly matches one of the pages. Then I move all the unfolded parts over to one page and leave the other (scale page) blank. Next export all pages separately and delete the blank page, keeping the page with the parts. This works very well for me to keep part sizes consistent across multiple files.
  15. Romanator

Romanator Member

It is certainly very interesting watching the design come together.

So it seems that Pep gives problems with scaling. A difficult task to deal with nonetheless.

I personally know nothing about digital designing. I downloaded a free program called Blender because I heard it unfolds pretty well. But I have no idea how to work it. :confused: Someday I guess...

Anyway, great progress on the jet Kenlwest :thumb:
  16. clif52

clif52 Banned

Very nice build. I've really enjoyed seeing this one come together. A classic plane.
  17. exzealot

exzealot Member

Attached are pictures of the front landing gear. Earlier, I mentioned that this was a Swiss Watch. That was an understatement. Anyway, I think I can simplify the design without compromising the detail. This gear is made to add to the model as one of the last steps in the build process.

Now on to the cockpit...

18. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Yikes! That's pretty good.

19. reklein

reklein Member

Spoked Wheels!!!! OMG :eek::thumb::mrgreen:
  20. exzealot

exzealot Member

As promised, the final version of the model will have landing gear and cockpit. The pictures below show the final wing assemblies with the gear bays installed. No internal structure was needed for the wings; just the 2 end pieces are used to hold the shape. The landing gear will slip into the holes that are shown. A little glue on the top of the LG cylinder will hold the gear to the proper angles.

As a side note, this model uses only cardboard from breakfast cereal boxes. In this economy, anything free is GOOD! And much easier on the Xacto blades - saves money as well. :thumb: