F-84G Thunderjet

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by exzealot, Dec 15, 2008.

1. exzealot

exzealot Member

To all,

It's time to try out my paper model design skills. My first project is the Republic F-84G Thunderjet. I chose this because it is a straight winged aircraft with simple lines, is not available in a larger scale (1/32), and because most of the "G's" were extravagently painted. I also plan to design a swept-wing "F" version for my dad. He served in the Indiana ANG in France during the Berlin crisis of the early 60's. I have 8mm films of him sitting in the cockpit of an F-84F Thunderstreak arming a nuclear bomb.

Picture 1: A comparison between the white prototype and the painted version. Note that the proto version had too much angle of wing incidence - corrected on the final version.

Pictures 2 and 3: Close ups - wing angle differences...

Picture 4: Proctologist's view of the engine bay (minus engine). The engine assembly will slide in like a shotgun cartridge.

Picture 5: Tail section showing the NACA duct.

Picture 6: Closeup of the intake, aux air inlet, and gun ports.

2. voltron5

voltron5 Member

Very well done kenlwest! It looks like your off to a running start, Your design and build looks amazing. I only wish my first design looked half as good as yours!:thumb: Will you be selling this or providing as a free download? Keep up the great work.
  3. David H

David H Member

That's just fantastic!

4. pretty earned nice!
  5. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

What a great subject! Now, all you need is a 1/32 KC-97 to drag it across the paper pond. Would that be something or what?
  6. redhorse

redhorse Member

That's very nice! Will it have landing gear?
  7. Wily

Wily Member

8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looks great! Any interior details besides the engine? I'll gladly buy one if it looks as good as it does now!
  9. pahorace

pahorace Member

Hi Ken,
    this work is simply wonderful! :thumb:

10. exzealot

exzealot Member

To all,

Thanks for all the nice comments (and questions). The white prototype was an exercise in shape verification, and to see if Pepakura unfolded the panels accurately. (It does). The paneled version is also an early prototype, and a way to develop my own techniques of designing. The final version will have a full cockpit, landing gears and bays, pylons & bombs. The version you see is a cobble that will sit on my desk at work as an "in-flight" model. Currently, I am working on the wingtanks.

11. bclemens

bclemens Member

VERY nice indeed!
  12. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

But, you didn't answer the "big" question; can we buy it? BTW, if you have need, I have extensive B&W detail photos of the airplane, inside and out. When I was stationed at Wright Patt AFB, my friend was the Ops Officer at the USAF Museum. So, I got the run of the aircraft whenever I wanted. The straight-wing was always a sentimental favorite.

I could be talked into a trade; all the photos I have for a download! How's that for a deal?

Oh, yea, same thing for the swept-wing version. I may even have a couple of color shots.
  13. clif52

clif52 Banned

Was the Thunderjet one of the jets that the Blackhawks used in the comics? It looks very familiar from my childhood for some reason.
  14. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

This is your first design? WOW! You have already surpassed me, and I've been designing for a while. Great job and I hope to see more from you. Thanks for sharing with us.

Best Regards,
  15. clif52

clif52 Banned

I checked my research files when I got home and the F-84 Thunderjet was one of the jets used by the Blackhawks during the 1950s in the comic books. I wonder what scale matches up to a 6 inch action figure. I found a file for airport tarmac this weekend. It would make a very COOL base to display my action figure of Blackhawk. I found a link to info on Blackhawk and all of his aircraft with photos. Another blast from the past.
  16. exzealot

exzealot Member

A little progress to show... I only had time to finish the left wingtank. The front of the tank is still missing, and there is a horizontal fin that will be added. I am pleased with the progress and I am happy you like it.

Clif52, I will have to look into the Blackhawk comic. A 6 inch figure should equate to 1/12 scale (assuming the figure is modeled at 6' tall.

BTW: Maj CT Davenport will be building the first production intent Beta, and show the build here on Zealot. Should be finished and ready in a month or two.

17. clif52

clif52 Banned

Thanks for the info on scale kenlwest. Your model looks great! Keep up the good work. I've been collecting the paper models of planes I can find listed on the Blackhawk site and have been thinking about doing some repaints to go with my action figure I bought. I got a copy of the Fiddlers Green Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket that they have painted as the Blackhawk's plane.
  18. oklacnw

oklacnw Guest

That could be used to make the E version, very little difference externally. I worked on the F-84E in 1951-52 in Germany.
  19. Janx

Janx Member

A beautiful model and excellent job on the design!
  20. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Clif, using an average height of 6ft, the scale would be 1:12.