F-22 Raptor demo flight at Hampton Roads

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by DrBill, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBill

DrBill Member

There's an awesome video of the recent F-22 demo flight during the Hampton Roads (VA) airshow. It runs about 13 minutes and, except for a long-winded introduction by the airshow announcer, it's all flight, and some maneuvers that I find hard to believe.... It can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAp5EVjucEs
  2. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

WOW...that is one truly amazing bird.....almost looks like it's trying to defy gravity...
  3. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Few years ago everybody was going gaga about Flanker doing "cobra".
    Raptor can do the same, plus supercruise, plus stealth and much better fire controll :grin:
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

But I can buy 93 Sukhois for the cost of one Raptor...... ( I might be exagerating a little bit..)

PS I gather the RAF has grounded all its Jaguars. Just after they were all refitted. Smart.

5. DrBill

DrBill Member

Gee, I thought the Russians were limiting deployment to those with 6-figure "adventure travel" budgets. The UK might want to follow their lead with all those idle Jaguars.
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

....and the English Electric Lightning could do the supercruise thing over 50 years ago. And get to 30 000 feet from a standing start, and still be inside the the boundary of the airfield. And it could do a klaxon to airborne scramble in under two minutes. One was flown to 78000 feet once.....

Just keeping things in perspective!

7. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Bill, our government wouldn't have the imagination to do anything like that! And if they did, the 'elf n' safety ' czars would soon put the mockers on the idea!

8. DrBill

DrBill Member

Much the same on this side of the pond, I fear.

Now, as I think back to the Lightning, I'm amazed something that awesome could have been produced so soon after the end of the War (WWII, I mean). I think the initial design actually goes back 60 years.
  9. paul a

paul a Member

it,s only that they will let you know about that scares me. being i was in the airforce. what you are seeing now is very old don,t worry about it stuff.the stuff you don,t know about would boggle your mind.
  10. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yeah impressive but a little late compared to former Soviet Union aircraft for a butt load of money. Like comparing the Chinese space program to the American one in progress.
  11. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Afterburners on all the time=15 minutes or less flight time. Sorry but not that impressive. Other aircraft have been doing tail slides for years, the harrier can hover and turn tighter turns. The eurpfighter, rafele, and saab are smaller and harder to hit, than the massive F22. I love american planes especially the F-16, but this has cost to much. The f15 can do the same job as the F22 for less money, just upgrade.

What is the point in these tight turns etc, when missiles are designed for 20/30 miles plus. Aircraft will never get close enough to each other for dogfights anymore.

If I where american I would by complaining about the mass amount's of money spent on this project.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.