F-15 E Strike Eagle, 1:32, ModelArt

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by fluthecrank, Apr 22, 2006.

1. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

Hi Friends, espacially ashrunner.............

the whole machine will be impresive..........
    look for yourself:

tomorrow more........with some weathering....!!!

best regards FLU
  2. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

next step.............

nose cone, completed steering gear and some weathering :wink: :wink: :wink:

Next step will be the landing gear............

best FLU
  3. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

Hi folks,.............the landing gear..........

now I show the landing gear, first the nose gear:

the main gear:
    notice, the nose wheel is still finished !!
    The main gear wheels prepared for grinding:

and an overall view standing on the landing gear !!

best regards FLU
  4. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

just done...............

Hi friends,

it´s done................the wheels.....

and the landing gear:

best regards FLU
  5. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hey flu,
    She is a beauty! I have always loved all aircraft but am especially fond of modern technology.
    Anyway, my question; What do you use to grind the wheels into shape?
    A Dremel? or just some sand paper?
    They look great and I am curious about your technique.

6. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

Hi amazyah,

I use a DREMEL, fix the wheel part in the tool for the cutt-off wheel and press it smooth against sandpaper (rough to fine). Look for the speed, adjust, if possible, the lowest speed. And press not to hard !! Take time.
    Success depends on good work in preparing the cardboard pieces !!

Next wheel work I`ll do some pics.............

7. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Outstanding work on this. This is a sweet machine. So sweet that I decided that I would redo mine. I now know why mine was smaller. I scaled it down to print on 8.5 by 11. I have purchased some 8.5 x 14 card stock. So no reason to scale it down. I am going to use silver paper on the metal parts. I had to print it twice on the silver since it was 8.5 x 11.:cry: What a waste. But it was worth it.

Attached Files:

8. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

diffucult to print...............

Dear dwgannon,

I know all these problems. I bought the print version but the paper was not what I was used to........so I printed it from the scans, its difficult because it is uni grey...............and grey is a very difficult color................
    If you follow my report you have seen all difficulties and highlights.............in case of any question ask...................

e.g., I print the scan in black/white, so the grey becomes bearly grey.........

best regards FLU
  9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

"Next wheel work I`ll do some pics.............

Thanks FLU!
    Eagerly awaiting!

10. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Looks great.

How was the weathering process done?
  11. barry

barry Active Member

Looks brilliant

12. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

Hi Stev0,

I use pastel chalk. Sometimes you can get a cheap assortment in the shop for art material..........
    Start with equal color and vary to lighter or daraker color. On edges you can set some highlights..............don´t make it to colorful.

The process itself is as followed:

rub the chalk on normal paper, or better, cardboard and use your finger rubbing in the chalk. The moisture of the skin makes the color application softer !
    • only in case of sharp edges use the chalk itself
    • always work with more layers, using more layers allows you to control the color image........
    • Note: the art is not to find the best colors to get the most realistic image, the art is to know when to stop with the process.......:wink:
    • at the end I used a fixer spay to protect the surface, notice: the fixer makes the color a bit darker !!

O.K., and now try by yourself.........In my opinion models with weathering look more realistic than the models just out of the factory :wink: :wink: :wink:

I hope you understand my broken english, in case of further questions .....ask.....

best regards FLU
  13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hey FLU and GB,
    I have to agree, I think a weathered model looks better than a "showroom floor" model. It is true to life, captures the subject in it's normal state and therefore it is much more believable and realistic.
    I learned something new from both of you today!

FLU, your English is superb! I always thought you were a transplanted Yank until you mentioned broken English.
    I think you "speak" better English than most of us Yankees do. :grin:

14. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

some colored dots..................

Hi folks,

today I can only show you some colored dots...........I use the parts of the printed version............

by the way, what´s the right word for the hook ??

Best FLU
  15. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Flu: On a naval aircraft, that would be the "arresting gear" which traps the wires on the carrier deck to stop the aircraft on landing. I don't know what the purpose of such a piece of kit wold be on an AF bird....

Beautiful build! You do great aircraft!!
    Your Canadian friend,
  16. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

It's also called an arresting hook. In the Israeli air force, it's used in case of problems with the aircraft breaks.
  17. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Yeah I live near Manston which used to be an RAF base and incedently has the second largest runway in Britain and that has an arrestor cable at the end of the runway.
  18. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Air Force birds have arrestor hooks because of safety.

some air bases have arrestor wires strung across, emergency landings on naval bases

19. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Rick: Thanks for enlightening an ex "ground-pounder" ;-)
    In the military world, there is a reason for everything, even if it isn't immediately clear to everyone!!
  20. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

It is called the arresting hook and as has been noted, is used for emergency stopping of aircraft. Most AF bases have a runway end with what is called a barrier...basically a very strong netting which will pop up in the event an aircraft calls an in-flight emergency, generally for a hydraulics failure, but could be a variety of other problems. Also included is a cable with a similar setup to a naval flight deck. Both are intended to prevent an aircraft from overrunning the runway in the event of braking failure.

From my office window at Elmendorf, I could see the barrier end of the runway and when an in-flight emergency was called (the Public Affairs Office always got a heads-up over the "crash line") for hydraulics, I would turn my attention to barrier. Ninety percent of the time the aircraft would land with no problem, but that 10 percent which didn't looked rather funny "trapping" on a cement runway or hitting the barrier...which could and sometimes did, damage the bird.

I would always get people asking me about the hook on the F-15 during the tours of Elmendorf I would give. I would explain the Air Force reason for the hook. Most people assumed it was for carrier landing, but Air Force aircraft didn't have the strengthened gear to take the punishment of carrier trapping. On one tour while the bus rounded the barrier end of the runway, it popped up and a I was able to point out the system to the tour group. The aircraft declaring was only a couple of minutes out, so I had the bus driver pull off out of the way so the group could watch a barrier landing. The aircraft ended up being in the 90 percent bracket, but the tour group was still impressed.