F-14 Tomcat to be officially retired

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by SCEtoAux, Sep 21, 2006.

1. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I heard on the news today that the F-14 Tomcat is to be officially retired on 22 September. So, no more Turkey. :( :)

The destroyers I served on spent a lot of time behind a carrier watching those things fly around. I even managed to make it topside out of the engineroom a few times to watch those fly boys play their games. :)
  2. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

I thought they retired them already, Air & Space Smithsonian had a great article in there recently...

Wow a legend is retiring...

John John
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

What are they being replaced with?
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

The New FA-18F Super Hornet.

Sorry at work and can't re-size the image.

Attached Files:

5. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

6. 3Turner

3Turner Member

Don't forget the JSF/F-35 that is supposed to be used by the AF, Navy and USMC.
  7. 46rob

46rob Member

But that thing is still in development. the Super Hornet is already serving in fleet squadrons, and has been for some time now.
  8. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

I'm not an expert on missles, but I know that the Tomcat was the only platform for the AIM-54 Phoenix and its 100 mi range. Does the Super Hornet have that kind of stand-off capability?
  9. 3Turner

3Turner Member

True, the military will probably not put it into inventory until around 2008. On another note, I personally would not mind seeing a F-35 model that looks better than the Mamecraft free version. :twisted:
  10. diamondback

diamondback Member

AMRAAM's range has been increasing, and Phoenix had best Pk @ about 60mi, so it's about a wash. OTOH, nothing would say "DIE!" like having a half-ton hunk o' metal hit you at Mach 5, even if the warhead didn't cook off. Stock Phoenix doesn't maneuver well, nor does it have terminal-guidance, but they COULD be modified with a thruster section in the nose for maneuverability, and to add TG software easily enough...
  11. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Was'nt the F18 declared obselete in the mid 90's?
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

SteveO............. not sure of that, but the new Super Hornet is not just add-ons stuff....... it's a much bigger plane than the original Hornet.

Phoenix missiles are huge and designed to defeat large swarms of Cold War bombers at very long range. The F-14 was build in conjunction with the Phoenix missles, so I don't think the Super Hornet can carry them. I'll do some checking on that one.

The JSF is supposed to replace the A-6 and when it gets out the early F-18s, but the NAVY is banking pretty heavily on the Hornet for the forseeable future.
  13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I had no idea the super hornet was a different plane.

Canada has a whole squadron sitting idle from their former West German base. Now I know why they are not 'upgraded' to super hornet status lol.
  14. 46rob

46rob Member

The F-14 was and still is the best interceptor around. The F-18E doesn't have it's capabilities, but the F-14 was old and tired, and a maintenance nightmare. The ironic thing is, that should hostilities ever ensue with Iran--the F-18E may find itself facing off against the IAF Tomcats.
  15. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

What about the F-22 Raptor? Wasn't that one to be the next big thing?
  16. Willja67

Willja67 Member

The F-22 Raptor is the airforces baby and traditionally the Navy and the Airforce haven't liked the idea of sharing. There have only been two planes that both services used in significant numbers and they were the Phantom and the A-7 Corsair. There are of course a few others but they were relatively insignificant.

That was the main reason the Tomcat was born. Back when it was designed the big idea was "Commonality" as espoused by Robert Macnamara. He wanted one plane to fill the needs of all services and tried pushing a modified F-111 on the Navy but they squealed real loud (for very good reason) and got the ball rolling on the Tomcat.

Back then the technology simply didn't exist to make one aircraft able to fulfill multiple roles hence the big fight that went on with the F-15 to keep it purely air to air. Ironically it has since been developed into one of the best ground attack aircraft there is while retaining its air to air capabilty. The same thing happened with the Tomcat. After the Soviet Bomber threat dried up and with the Hornet being fairly a capable dogfighter the Tomcat's days were numbered until they hung the LANTIRN system (same as on the F-15E)on it to make it a ground attack platform.
  17. benhpark

benhpark Stealth Modeler

Well Gerardo, I heard that the F-14's are replaced with the F-18 series (Hornets and the Super Hornets) because the USAF and US Navy found F-14's were very expensive and obsolete. In the near future, they are going to add F-35's to the US Navy. There are three kinds of F-35's-- F-35A VTOL(Vertical Take-Off and Landing) is used for USAF, and I'm not sure but I think F-35B's will be Used in the navy.

I believe that F-22's, on the other hand, will be primarily used in USAF.
    But I'm not sure ^^ They are one of the toughest fighter jets around the world.

By the way, If you want to download some cool PM's, then here are the links!

Paper Craft <-- Eastern's Toy Box F-14A Tomcat
    Ojimak‚ÌŽ†”òs‹@ <-- Ojimak F-18 Hornet/F-18F Super Hornet
    MAME CRAFT - PAPER CRAFT <-- Mamecraft F-22 Raptor, F-35 JSF

Hope this helps,
    --Ben P
  18. mikew

mikew Member

The Navy F-14 has indeed been retired, and replaced with the latest F-18 models (E and later), which are completely new aircraft rather than upgraded F-18s of the A through D series. The Air Force never operated F-14s, but rather the F-15 was used for the pure air superiority mission.

The F-35A, which will be the Air Force version, is a conventional takeoff and landing type. The B model is the short takeoff/vertical landing version which the Marine Corps is after, and the C model will be for the US Navy.

The F-22 will be an AF only aircraft, as it can not operate from aircraft carriers. If the Navy wants the F-22 for shipboard use, they'll have to make so many changes to the design that it would be practically a whole new aircraft. As of this time, export is prohibited by law, so the number produced will likely not increase much,

19. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

actually iran hasnt been able to fly their f-14 for some time now due to lack of replacement parts. however iran is receivng 250 SU-30.
  20. Gainer

Gainer Member

Something about the 100 mile missile range of the Phoenix(I believe), is that the rules of engagement(marvelous aren't they?) state that visual confirmation must be attained before firing, which erases the benefit of a 100 range missile. basically making the phoenix a really expensive sidewinder. Tis a shame to see the tomcat retired.