Ezdays scratchbuild #1

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Ahh, scratchbuild, a new experience for me. So far i've got no clue what I'm going to build and what material I'm going to use.

So here's what I've got so far on scratchbuilding:

Attachments

• Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 491

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
N Gauger said:
............. Only theeee ShaaaaDow KnowwwwwwwwwwwwSSSS..

(Insert Evil Laugh Track here) :D :D :D
If de Shadow knows I wish he's speak to me, 'cause I sure as heck don't.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh Chad, I'm not sure, but I'd guess it would be prototypical, ya know, like a harty full-scale evil lurking laugh track.:D :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
eightyeightfan1 said:
Here's a suggestion Don....Suprise us.
Ed, I surprised even myself, but I made a decision. There's one place that's dear to both my wife and my hearts, that being Sedona, Arizona. One place we always visit when we're up there is the Chapel of the Holy Cross. I've mentioned this before and had posted pictures of it a while back. The building is built about 250 feet up on the side of a hill. I've estimated that the chapel itself goes from about 25' in back to 35' in front and the entire building is about 77' overall. The cross on the front rises about 100' from the base to the top of the roof. The structure is so impressive sitting there and can be seen for miles around.

My plan is to do the chapel and it's approach as well as the ramp from the bottom of the hill. I want to try and do the surrounding rocks as well. I may do it 1:160 scale, or try to go a bit smaller so I can use it as a background piece.

Here are a few shots of the prototype:

Attachments

• Proto1.jpg
    Proto1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 423
  • Proto2.jpg
    Proto2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 425
  • Proto3.jpg
    Proto3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 409
  • Proto4.jpg
    Proto4.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 397

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
And a few more of the area surrounding the chapel and shots from inside the chapel. Oh, that's my wife Peggy standing there beside an old grammer school neighbor of mine from New Jersey:

Attachments

• Proto5.jpg
    Proto5.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 395
  • Proto6.jpg
    Proto6.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 385
  • Proto7.jpg
    Proto7.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 382
  • Proto8.jpg
    Proto8.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 381

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
That's good Miles.
158.gif

Yeah Mikey, it's nice to look at, but when you go up there, it's even better. :D :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
eightyeightfan1 said:
That'll make a cool project Don, Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Instead of going 1:160, why don't you do it in N scale?sign1
Hey Ed, that's a fine idea, wonder why I didn't think of that since I'm into N scale....:D :D :D :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
jim currie said:
Thanks Jim, I don't know if I can do justice to it, but I'm gunna give it my best.

Here's the next step, trying to get the right dimensions. Based on the pictures I've taken, I think I'm close. Here's my CAD sketch of the outside structure:

Attachments

• Chapel-tc2.jpg
    Chapel-tc2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 338

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
That’s an interesting and exceptional scratchbuilding project. Really looking forward to see your chapel. Doesn’t matter if it turns out to be n-scale or 1:160 sign1.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
cnw1961 said:
That’s an interesting and exceptional scratchbuilding project. Really looking forward to see your chapel. Doesn’t matter if it turns out to be n-scale or 1:160 sign1.
The structure is almost 100 foot long and the cross is 100 foot high so I did a 1:160 (or N scale, I'm not sure which), printout and it really is overpowering for my layout at around 8" tall and long. I'm going with 1:200. This still puts it at 6" so I might possibly go even a bit smaller. That works out fine because I have a sheet of stonework that is 1:200 and that Plastruct says on the label is "N scale, 1:200". :rolleyes: :rolleyes: That should work for the promenade area.

After my visit there last week, I make a few changes and so this is going to be my template:

Attachments

• Chapel2.jpg
    Chapel2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 173

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Wow Don! My wife and I visited there when we were in Sedona a couple of years ago. That is definately an awesome church structure with awesome views. I'll be curious to see how well you can do the rocks around it. That red rock area is gorgeous!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Russ Bellinis said:
Wow Don! My wife and I visited there when we were in Sedona a couple of years ago. That is definately an awesome church structure with awesome views. I'll be curious to see how well you can do the rocks around it. That red rock area is gorgeous!
Russ, this is by far both my wife's and my most cherished place to visit. The red rocks will take your breath away, as you well know.:)

Since you asked, during our layout party earlier this year, I constructed a hill to the back of my town and made part of it to resemble the Sedona rocks. Here's a shot of it before I completed the town. If I can get the scaling down right, there's room to add the chapel in an area just to the left of this rock formation. If I do put it there, it will have one feature that the real chapel doesn't have.... a RR siding....:D :D I originally had planned for a mine there, then changed it to an industrial bldg, so I guess it pays to procrastinate... :wave:

Oh, BTW, I'm now down to 1:212 scale, even 1:200 seemed to be a bit too large for the layout.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Red rocks.jpg
    Red rocks.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 157