EZday's layout party

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
A very important step in the process of reconstructing the Town of Santa Maria. The enire infastructure is in place, sewers, water, gas and cable TV (including broadband):D. There is still a bit of debate whether the folks at the power untility are going to restore the power poles or insist on underground service. The town folk wants to keep the old abience, but the feds are insisting on upgrading to modern standards. fence1We'll keep you posted on progress.

As you can see, sidewalks have been poured and the streets paved. Downtown Main St. was restored as it was 125 years ago with a cobblestone street and wood plank sidewalks. They have been built to meet code, so not to worry.:rolleyes: The Feds have approved everything and as you may have noticed, the first thing to go in is a gas station. Those oil guys don't miss a trick. :D :D

Attachments

• Roads done.jpg
    Roads done.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 108

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Thanks, I've got one incentive to work fast, that being, the sooner I get Santa Maria finished, the sooner I can get back to testing out the trackwork on my new section. :D The biggest problem I have is with the cheap plastic help available here. They take off for other parts of the universe without warning and they have this obsession for eating green cheese. :rolleyes:

Yeah Ray, after they sold Young's Farms, well, there goes the neighborhood. :cry: It's been a few years since I was up your way, but I'll bet I wouldn't recognize it anymore.:)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Well folks, the townsfolk got help from a very unlikly source. A band of LGM have been trying to become a part of the town and help out with the reconstruction in ways only they could. Here we see a few shots of them bringing in the police station and town hall using what they referred to as a "tractor beam."
910.gif
I think these guys watched too much Star Trek.:rolleyes: Anyway, thanks to their help, the contractors have made uncanny progress.:thumb: :thumb:

Here are those shots captured by our roving reporter in the skynews helicopter. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Ya gotta admit, this event was worthy of TV coverage, even though they had several structures in place already. :D :D :D :D

Attachments

• Alien help1.jpg
    Alien help1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Alien help 2.jpg
    Alien help 2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 125
  • Alien help 3.jpg
    Alien help 3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 116

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Clerk said:
Don. 'This is really amazing:thumb: :thumb: sign1 sign1

I am trying to figure out how you got those buildings to seem like they were off the ground and ready to mount in their place.
It took training, concentration and a very powerful tractor beam...:D:D:D:D

...Oh yeah, did I mention that these LGM love green beer? They may be a tad Irish I'm thinking, and with St. Paddy's day just a few weeks away they'll do most anything for a sip of green suds...:rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:stooges8

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Well, the town hall is in place thanks to the LGM and their flying saucer, and they brought in another two new structures, "Jilly Bean's lunch stand" and "D & P's General Store". That puts all of downtown Santa Maria's structures in place. We are now waiting for the landscapers to do their thing, and we also need to bring back the pavers so they can pave the train station parking lot. Once that's done, we will allow the residents back into town along with their vehicles. Right now none of the businesses are open, but we will have a grand re-opening of the town very soon. :thumb: :thumb:

Attachments

• City hall.jpg
    City hall.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Genstore1.jpg
    Genstore1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Genstore2.jpg
    Genstore2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 87

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
You get an A+ for imagination, my friend! :thumb: sign1

I feel like I'm looking at the still shots from an Ed Wood movie! ;) :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Drew1125 said:
You get an A+ for imagination, my friend! :thumb: sign1

I feel like I'm looking at the still shots from an Ed Wood movie! ;) :D
That's about it, about as much realism as one of his movies, but I hope my layout provides just a bit more entertainment. :rolleyes: :D

I thank you for the nice grade though, I can't see not adding a bit of comedy to the fun I'm already having doing all this.
thumbsup.gif
Life it way too short to be serious when you don't have to be. sign1stooges8sign1

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Hey Don, would you mind asking your aliens if they’d come over to me? Shouldn’t take long in a flying saucer. There are a lot of jobs for them on my layout too.

One of the best threads ever.:thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
cnw1961 said:
Hey Don, would you mind asking your aliens if they’d come over to me? Shouldn’t take long in a flying saucer. There are a lot of jobs for them on my layout too.

One of the best threads ever.:thumb:
I would, but those Little Green Men don't have their "green cards" yet and they're afraid if they leave this country, we won't let them come back.sign1 sign1

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
All things considered, The Village of Santa Maria is about as complete as I want it for now. The only thing left is to wire up the interior building lights on Main St. and do a bit of housekeeping, especially on the tracks and roadbeds. There are still a few areas on that section of the layout that are empty right now, but my layout party project is complete.

As I said, all those LGM were doing what they could to help. They’ve done their best to learn our ways and the townsfolk have accepted them in spite of the greenish look from head to toe. As you can see in some of the following pictures, they still wear those tight green jumpsuits than match their body color. No, they are not walking around naked, they just appear to be. For those of you that are not aware, the LGM (Little Green Men) invaded my Atlas kitbash challenge diorama (click here) a couple of months ago and decided now to take up residence on my layout.

All of the structures were built from kits or kitbashed by myself except the firehouse, some I did around three years ago. The firehouse came with a box-lot of stuff I bought, I just added some inside detail and cleaned it up. I built five new structures these past few weeks, Jilly Bean’s Lunch Stand, D & P’s General Store, the St. Mary Hotel, Grogan’s Furniture Store and Patrick’s Irish Pub.
I will post a summary here of some things I used in the construction of the town and what I like and don’t like about what I did. I’m glad this “layout party” happened because I’ve been procrastinating finishing up this area since we settled in our new house.

Attachments

• Before-after.jpg
    Before-after.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 53

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
There is some new life in the Village as the night hangs over it. The Feds were pleased with how things turned out and issued the certificates of occupancy for the whole town, and while they were there, they were satisfied that all the LGM had prospects of work so they issued them all their Green Cards. The skies the limit for these guys now. I think that they’d blend it a lot better if they’d start wearing regular earth clothes though.

Attachments

• Main at night looking N.jpg
    Main at night looking N.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Main at night looking S.jpg
    Main at night looking S.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Night station.jpg
    Night station.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 55
  • Dawn.jpg
    Dawn.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 50

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Daylight arrives and we see the Village come to life, former residents and the new LGM work and relax together. The LGM are using their mechanical skills working at the renamed gas station. They did the owner a favor and brought one of their flying saucers out of retirement as an advertising stunt.:D:D

Attachments

• Gas station.jpg
    Gas station.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Saucer.jpg
    Saucer.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Main st.jpg
    Main st.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Park.jpg
    Park.jpg