ez water river modelling

fran1942

Apr 16, 2005
Hello, I am just about to create a river with Woodland scenics EZ water.
What I want to know is, is there any way to add dye to EZ water ?
When you look at most real rivers you cannot see the river bed. The water just looks dark. I think EZ water is transparent when it dries out. Is this correct ?
Can I simply add a little dye to the liquid EZ water before it sets ?
Thanks for any advice on this.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I've never heard anyone dying EZ Water.
Most usually paint the bottom a dark color(usually black) and lighten the color brown progressively as you get closer to the banks.
If you decide to "dye" it, try a little test on scrap wood and see how it comes out.
Let us know....Be interesting.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I don't want to rain on your parade, Fran, but my experience with EZ Water wasn't a good one...I found the stuff to be both messy, & difficult to work with, & the results weren't worth the effort...:rolleyes:

I've had much better results using acrylic gloss medium (found at art supply stores) & I believe WS actually has a newer line of products called Water Effects (or something like that...?)

There is also Envirotex, a casting resin that a lot of modelers use with very good results...

In short, unless you're already commited to using the EZ Water, I'd recommend trying something else...

As far as coloring, thre trick there is to do an effective job of painting the scenic base under the clear "water" material...this not only adds color, but gives the illusion of depth...

Whatever you decide to use, good luck, & let us know how things turned out! :)

fran1942

Apr 16, 2005
Hello Drew, thanks for your input, however last night I tried out the EZ water compound and have nothing but praise for it.
VERY easy to use and the effects are awesome.
Just melt it in an old pot over a burner or even on the stove, then just pour it on. No smell, no problems whatsoever. It solidifies completely after a couple of minutes. Honestly it is great stuff. I was expecting it to be a lot more tricky. Even if you pour with irregularities it actually helps to give your river water a natural turbulent effect. You cant go wrong.
The only issue I found is that when it dries it contracts and lifts a couple of millimetres. But that is easy to fix, you can just cover up the edges with river edging rock, rubble or foliage, or even superglue down the edges.
Also one of the best things is that this stuff will remelt, so if you make any errors, you can easily use a heat gun or small blow torch to remelt and smooth out the errors.
I will post some pics when I have completed the whole length of river.

I definitely recommend EZ water (and I dont work for Woodland Scenics ! )

fran1942

Apr 16, 2005
It starts to solidify after about one minute.
So, you have approx. 60 seconds to get from the kitchen down to the modelling room.
Just dont trip up on the way otherwise you will end up in the emergency room of your local hospital with third degree burns.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
fran1942 said:
It starts to solidify after about one minute.
So, you have approx. 60 seconds to get from the kitchen down to the modelling room.
Just dont trip up on the way otherwise you will end up in the emergency room of your local hospital with third degree burns.

See...I'm gettin' too old to do anything in 60 seconds! :D ;)

If you're going to heat this stuff on the kitchen stove, I'd recommend using an old soup can, & setting it down in a pan of boiling water...use some pliers or tongs to carry it with...using one of my wife's pans would be grounds for divorce...or at least a clobbering with the ruined pan! :D :rolleyes: