Extending a helping hand across the border

doctorwayne

Lester, when I saw your first "Ouch", I telegraphed my Wreckmaster and had him get together this train to send down to give you a hand in getting that line back in service. It's just as well that your big hook got there first, 'cause I think mine's been held up at the border by Customs.

Locomotive 37 was built by IHC, with a few cosmetic changes by the Grand Valley shop forces.
100_5533.JPG

Wreck crane 160 is from Tichy, again with a few changes by the shops, since an open cab is not very comfy up here in the Great White North. She's the smaller of two on the roster. Boom car 160A is an Athearn flat with a new wood deck and scratchbuilt toolboxes and cabin.
100_5534.JPG

Flat car 108 is another Athearn with a new wooden deck and metal grabs and steps. All of the cars are owned by Grand Valley parent company Elora Gorge & Eastern.
100_5535.JPG

Tool and supply car 132 is an ex-reefer by MDC. She got a steel frame during the rebuild, along with metal steps and grabs.
100_5536.JPG

Work service gondolas 117 and 121 are of uncertain parentage. Steel frame for 117, metal steps and grabs for both.
100_5537.JPG

100_5538.JPG

Car 125 is normally assigned to the Telegraph Dept. She's ex-1903, an express-baggage car from the carshops of MDC. New platform railings and grabs, a few boarded-over windows, along with a couple of smokejacks and a full underbody brake system.
100_5539.JPG

Car 126, ex-EG&E combine 1907, is an office/shop/supply car, so technically, still a combine. Same upgrades as 125, with a couple of Grandt Line windows added in the former baggage compartment.
100_5541.JPG

Bringing up the rear is kitchen/diner 124, former EG&E First Class Coach 1912.
In addition to the usual upgrades, she's got a very basic interior. Note the old style duckbill roof.
100_5542.JPG

Well, my relief train just rolled back into town about an hour ago. Seems that the problem at the border had something to do with archbar trucks being outlawed in interchange service. What year is this, anyway?

Wayne

L

lester perry

Listen if you can get the kitchen car freed up from cutoms that would be great. My boys don't have that luxury and now they see what you have they have stopped all work demanding food. As far as year goes It was a T1 2-10-4 pulling it.

cn nutbar

i need help too

hey doc---could use that work train laying track and ballast on my layout---and you don't have to clear customs---cn nutbar

L

lester perry

Problem sort of solved with kitchen car. The George Washington (premier passenger train) was at Clifton Forge last night. As the work crew put it they BORROWED:eek: the Dinner car with the help of the yard crew & a local frieght. They are eating very well now:) .

doctorwayne

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. I don't think that the wreck train will get too much work around here for a while. No trains are moving west of Elfrida, as the bridges are out just past the yard limits there. The Chippawa Creek bridge and the span over the Maitland River have both been removed for remedial work on the water. If everything comes out okay, I'll try to post some pictures. If, on the other hand, the results are less than convincing, you'll not be hearing from me for a while. I have already done a small water scene between Finlay Fresh Fish and GERN Industries, which still requires another coat of urethane. I find that it's not very convincing when you first see it when you walk into the room, since the layout height here is only 36". However, this area will eventually have another level of layout above it, so the viewer will be forced to crouch down to get a better view. At eye level, I think that it looks not too bad. This part of the layout was designed to be operated from rolling office chairs, so if I get reasonable results with the water, it will be viewed from the proper angle.

Wayne