Expression from Microsoft

Discussion in 'Software' started by wunwinglow, Sep 1, 2004.

1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

2. ButchPrice

ButchPrice Member

No passport please

Yeah, well you have to sign up for Microshaft's Passport to get access to it.
    No thanks. I get plenty of junk mail already. :roll:

3. IndiQa

IndiQa New Member

Not bad but it is a 57.2mb download.

Always interested in checking graphics SW out.
    \btw Butch I have been subscribed to MS passport for 4 years have yet to receive spam/junk. Just don't check the "You may send me or your friends may send me junk.spam EMail" checkbox.

4. Horus

Horus Member

I've started downloading it.
    At 58 Meg, it's not for dialup buddies.
    I'll hava a go at reviewing it later.

5. Gil

Gil Active Member

I've started the download too...,

Best, Gil
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

OK...., what's the catch?

7. As I am not signed up with passport can somebody tell me the protocol. When I try to sign up it just stalls out. Or this a plot by evil Bill to ensnare us all :?
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

It seems to have problems if you aren't using Microsoft's Explorer. I use Netscape and had a problem at first. I finally just filled in my email address and typed in a password, checked remember login and hit enter. It then went to the fill in section for passport. Finished that and pressed continue which started the download. Disjoint and not straight forward but it worked..., it's worth downloading. I'm having fun messing about with it.

Best regards, Gil
  9. charliec

charliec Active Member

I got Expression down without problems using the Firefox browser.

I notice that it's Expression 3.3 Beta Preview - in Microsoft speak this usually means that it's more or less functional and Microsoft are releasing a freebie to get the user community to find the remaining bugs. Bottom line - don't expect to run perfectly. At least it's better than Microsoft's actions in the past - they sold applications which clearly were only at beta release (Windows 95 comes to mind).

It looks like an interesting application - must get more time to play with it. It's got a lot of nice tools for Web graphics development - might use it at work.

10. Gil

Gil Active Member

My impression so far is that this is a Photoshop knock-off...., as in Microsoft is aiming directly at Adobe with this application.

Everyone should download this application while it's still free. I've seen enough in just a short while to make that recommendation. You won't regret it.

I'm beginning to like the graphical user interface already. It's fairly intuitive.

Best regards, Gil
  11. Horus

Horus Member

I've had a tinker with it.
    I think it will be good for artistic projects, but I'm not so impressed with its accuracy so far.
    The interface is similar to the Illustrator and Photoshop idea of floating pallettes, but not so refined. Well worth the download but I,m not convinced on its application to card model design so far.

12. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

There are some good tutorial links on the expression website. Go to the website home page, then under the pub sign click on About Expression, then Additional resources. Or this URL....

It is much closer to CorelDraw or Illustrator than Photoshop, but the effects you can get are much more flexible than either, and end up looking like bitmap effects. I was particularly interested in getting smoke stains, weathering, paint chips etc, which can be done in Coreldraw, but tend to bloat the file size a bit.

I think it LOOKS like Photoshop 'cos it has a MACesque interface. Looks really dated now, compared with some Windows stuff, but it all works together very well. I was impressed. Especially at that price!

I'd like to see more import and export filters though.

Tim P
  13. Gil

Gil Active Member

I was using it to import bitmaps of a cockpit surround. I used this to become acquainted. I was able to piece together a fairly convincing looking panel by inputing the bitmaps and then scaling and warping them into one another by turning the new inputs opacity down in order to position it over the existing bitmaps. Did this without cracking open the manual which is impressive. The magic wand is missing though (at least I didn't see it anywhere) which is a real pity. This is a "preview" so no telling what the real release will have..., but this is a great tease for the price.

Best regards, Gil

P.S. It has a simple texture making capacity which might prove to be very useful for one off coloring jobs. Also the lighting on the emboss funciton will prove useful for making things.
  14. Square

Square Member

Hey Gil
    are you using 7.2 netscape? 7.1 had quite a bit of problems with IE only type sites and when I put 7.2 in most of them went away, most :)
  15. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Gil, I don't think it has a wagic wand because you can select anything by just clicking on it; in other words, the elements are already seperate, you don't need to make a judgement as to where you want to split the image. Bitmap Magic Wand picks up apparent edges amongst a whole mess of individual pixels, depending on the criteria that you set. Remember, this is a vector program, not a bitmap one, even though the effects look very like the sort of thing we are used to seeing in Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro etc. If you need to edit the bitmaps you are importing, that might be better done before you import them. Gifs are good for such things where you can have a 'transparent' colour, so the bitmap image can be floated over a vector texture fill like a decal.

Tim P
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

That's exactly what I was getting at. There aren't any bitmap manipulation tools..., Looks like a good replacement for Microsoft Paint.

Square, yes, I'm still running 7.1. Might get around to 7.2 soon.

Best regards, Gil
  17. Thanks Gil. After the episode I went through the last week with my box and the internet connection I'm leary about putting my email address on stuff. Of course we could just sign up with yahoo for an email address we only use for this sort of stuff and nothing else. Now that I think opf it it sounds like a good idea :wink: :wink: :wink: