Exploring HO gauge

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Biker Kelly, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biker Kelly

Biker Kelly New Member

Hello everyone:wave:! My first post here.

I have been operating O gauge toy trains for the past six years. I love the size, detail and nostalgia of the big stuff, particularly Post War Lionel. As time goes on I am losing interest in my O gauge layout due to the small size. My layout is an "L" shape measuring 11 by 9 feet with each side 4 feet deep.

Because of the small size, traditional toy curve radius, etc I decided to build a traditional toy train layout. I have tubular Lionel track on green indoor/outdoor carpeting. My scenery consists of Post War accessories and Plasticville structures. Needless to say I am ready to move on to the next level of model railroading. What I am considering is using the 11 by 4 foot section of the layout for HO gauge, and dropping the attached 5 by 4 foot section about 6 or 8 inches and running a single loop of 3 rail O gauge via a tunnel under the 11 by 4 foot table.

Whenever I'm at a train show I browse at everything, including HO and N. I am really impressed with what you can get for your money in HO gauge. Yesterday at a show I saw a scale NYC Hudson with DCC for $80. A TMCC or DCS equipped 3 rail O gauge model would be at least five times the cost. There seems to be such a variety of locomotives, rolling stock, passenger cars in HO that you don't have in O gauge, all at a more reasonable price. Plus, you can model a prototypical setting in a relatively small area.

My question to everyone is this: How do I get started? I have no experience whatsoever in HO gauge. There is a model RR club in my area; would that be a good place to start?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.