Explain yourself!

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by alfadoc, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAMan

AAMan New Member

I've been building model rockets since 1970. One saturday morning back in '76,
    I took a brand new RTF Rocket (One piece plastic airframe...sturdy as all get
    out) down to the park for a few launches. The spoiled brat down the street saw where I was headed, grabbed his $500.00 R/C airplane, and followed.
    I set up, prepped the rocket, started my countdown. He starts buzzing my launch pad and making me reset my count. After about 4 or 5 passes,
    I got fed up and punched the button. He hears the hiss of the engine,
    sees smoke coming off the pad, pulls back on the stick, airplane noses
    straight up, hangs there, stalls, and begins to tailslide straight down...
    right over the launch pad! The rocket connects and styrofoam,
    vac-formed plastic and electronics went EVERYWHERE! Right in front
    of a crowd of my 7th-grade peers. Come monday I was the hero of
    McCullough Jr. High.

I know it sounds far-fetched. I wouldn't believe it either if I hadn't of been
    there and been the one who did it. If anyone wants witnesses, I'll see if I
    can't dig up some.

As an asides, sometime back in the '80s, I heard that kid was sitting on
    Death Row in Florida, waiting on his turn in "The Chair".

Your Truly,
  2. kronos

kronos Member

Just lookem in the eye and say "Hab SoSlI' Quch! "= your mother has a smooth forhead :twisted:
  3. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Well Mine is.......

I was a stand in disc jock on coll. radio. I had the surfduke handle then.

"This is the Surfduke, Keeping the Jive Alive, Here on 95", "and next up a little number from a band thats been rolling stoned for more than 20 years........"

It was a lot of fun back then. We used to do a lot of theater of the mind stuff too.

4. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

What an awesome story, and image!!! :grin: :-D :grin: Well, except maybe the death row part.
  5. AAMan

AAMan New Member

AAA rockets Part II (and III)

There where 2 other incidents that where almost as spectacular...
    ...but the FAA got involved and those stories are best left untold.

6. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Isn't the fight between the Korean Ace on an Mig-17 vs. the F4 with aces "Irish" and "Duke"?

I'm having the idea of doing a book on you, guys. All of you - I don't doubt it - have super interesting real life stories to tell!! Man, I love this forum.

milenio3, as in 3rd Millenium,is Spanish. That I came up, as you may imagine, on the break of the XXI century (left to you the brain work of checking if it was on 2000 or 2001). I go with this to ever other forum, but sign as paperjerry (as my blog). My avatar has nothing to do, it's the Aztec god Tonatiuh, and just to make reference of my country.
  7. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hi Shrike,

If I recall correctly FW was somewhat successful in it's billing. The FW-190 was known as the Butcher Bird in some circles.
  8. lolson

lolson Member

Mine is kind of simple, My last name is Olson and a subtly placed L makes interesting results.
  9. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

I really AM a fishcarver.(see below). But long before I became a fish carver, I was a model builder. I became a carver so as to build better types of models, I suppose.

What the Aitch? I like model building in whatever medium, and I am happy here!

Yer Canadjan bud
  10. charliec

charliec Active Member

It's the same bird genus (Lanius) - in Oz we have Butcher Birds, in the US - Shrikes and the Germans call them Wurger.

11. ninja_doc

ninja_doc Member

I trained heavily in several martial arts for the better part of my formative years. One of my favorites was Nin-Jutsu and of course tried to emulate any scene I see in a movie. Long story short I was out for drinks with a bunch of the guys during first year Med School and low and behold we were locked out of the on campus residence. Having the courage of too much beer I promptly ran towards and then up a wall, caught the first balcony and scaled my way onto the 4th floor balcony and into the apartment to let everyone else in. Someone labelled me the Ninja Doc and it stuck.
  12. silverw

silverw Member

Many years ago, when my hair was long, darker and curlier than it is now, a couple of my nieces nicknamed me "Uncle Woolyburger???", instead of Uncle Bill.
    As time, and grey (silver) advanced.. I progessed through "Silverwooly" and "Silverwilly" ... the latter stuck about the time that I ran into places on the internet where you needed a username ... therefore..."silverwilly" ... but, that is WAY.. TOooo long..... , and "silver" is usually taken already... therefore....
    "silver+w+i+l.... etc"
    It just happened that here ... "silverw" worked.... so, I'm stuck with it! ... :)

13. Squirmydad

Squirmydad New Member

When my son was born he picked up the nickname of "Squirmy", and since becoming a parent was one of the biggest moments in my life, I created my current handle.

My wife did the same thing, but without the nickname; "Mommysince99"

14. spirtos

spirtos Member

...my first name is Spiros , and in my language "spirto" is a match, and although is not a good idea to keep the paper models in the same place with the matches... I am "spirtos" ... :)
  15. Snyperkitty

Snyperkitty New Member

Ironically enough, my callsign is inspired by YOUR avatar...which I noticed online a few years ago and have adopted as a user id for various sites ever since. So, it would seem that fate has led you to ask the question. hmmm...
  16. bigtom

bigtom Member

My handle is not very original, but since I am 6ft 9in tall and weigh 350lbs Bigtom seems appropriate....
  17. Major Walter Schmidt

Major Walter Schmidt Newbie Designer

Major Walter Schmidt is my username for a WWII website I am a member of (www.ww2incolor.com/forum) and comes from a thinking up German names for Internet RPs.
  18. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

mine col.kurtz comes from the main character in the movie apocolipse now :)
  19. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

JT Fox is from the Thin Lizzy Album "Johnny The Fox".

Cool, Wasted, Rock N Roll.

Cheers JTF
  20. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

Aphelion is the most distant point and object reaches in an orbit around our sun. 16 is my day of birth.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.