Experimenting in large scale

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Mike R, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Mike R

Mike R Member

This is a "building under construction" in F scale, also suitable for 1:24 or 1:22.5. It's to be an elevated structure, or something for a wharfside. I'm not modelling in large scale, just experimenting with methods & materials.
    It's board-by-board construction, all yellow cedar, ( except for the ladder rungs.) [:D]
    regards / Mike

Attached Files:

2. Mike R

Mike R Member

view #2

With a backdrop:

Attached Files:

3. Mike R

Mike R Member

view #3

Showing some ceiling detail:

Attached Files:

4. Catt

Catt Guest

Sure looks good to me.The first lady member of NARA is scratchbuilding all of her buildings for here garden layout.
  5. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Great job, Mike!
    That 's some excellent workmanship!
    :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
  6. Jim T

Jim T Member

Mike, that really looks nice. What a great size to work with. Like you, I'm also a woodworker, and could see myself building some of that size of stuff too. You better be careful or you may end up with a garden RR running all over your back yard. :)

Cheers, Jim
  7. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

That's nice!!! Great Work!!! Now you're going to have to supply dimensions for us. LOL
  8. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Mike, excellent photo's of some really great modelling in large scale. What scale are the tracks

9. Mike R

Mike R Member

large scale track

Shamus; the track normally used on what the trade calls"Large Scale" is #1 Gauge, at 45 mm wide, about 1 3/4" width. Although LGB may be the best known brand, there are many other types of track, with better profiles.

F scale is 1:20.3 which then equates that track gauge to 3 foot narrow gauge.

There is no true "G" scale, except LGB at 1:22.5, which equates the track gauge to 1 meter European narrow gauge.

There's also equipment at 1:24 available to represent approximate narrow gauge.

True #1 scale is 1:32 and it's very rare, mainly high-end Maerklin.
    The most popular "standard" trains running on #1 gauge track are 1:29 Aristo & USA Trains etc., which are pretty oversize from the 1:32, but look good and are very popular.

There's a growing group of "very-narrow-gauge" modellers working with 1:16 scale and some at 1:13.7 scale on this same
    gauge track.
    regards / Mike:D