Expedition To The Cumberland River

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Drew1125, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Rory gave me the idea of documenting my little advetures on the digital camera...
    My wife & I went to Cumberland Falls over the weekend (it's about a 3hr. drive from where we live), & did a little hiking around.
    Though the pics don't feature anything related to railroading, this is a place that I've always wanted to capture the look of in model form. If I ever get around to building that Appallachian short line, this is the look I'll be striving for...
    This first picture is from a ridge top looking upstream from the falls.

Attached Files:

2. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

We hiked down to water-level for this next shot of the same section of the river...

Attached Files:

3. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Here's a beautiful stone-arch bridge that carries KY90 over the river a few hundred yards above the falls.

Attached Files:

4. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Here's the falls...what looks like snow is actually a glaze of frozen mist that covers evrything around the base of the falls when the temp. gets below freezing.

Attached Files:

5. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

And lastly...here's a shot of the boulder-(& ice) strewn river downstream from the falls.
    I don't know if the scale really comes across, but most of those rocks are the size of houses!

Attached Files:

6. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Thanks, Charlie! Those are great pics. Beautiful country!

-Rory
  7. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hey Charlie,
    Nice photo's, I liked the waterfall best of all.
    That waterfall & frozen mist would make an excellent model project.
    Shamus
    [​IMG]