Exhausts

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by vette_7t9, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

Are ther only side exhausts on RC cars? Can there be rear exhausts and dual exhausts?
  2. timrock

timrock Active Member

if there is only one exhaust port,then you dont have dual exhaust.
  3. mastmec

mastmec Member

Super RS4 comes with rear exhaust, some monster trucks have it. It's just a muffler with a stinger extention to the rear, not as efficent as a tuned pipe. Some trucks you can put a MIP 360 stinger on which comes out the rear, and some people make their own pipes to come out the rear and some with dual tips. Looks and sounds cool but cuts down on power a lot, no expansion chamber.
  4. timrock

timrock Active Member

yea.you dont want to make `dual exhaust` where there is only one exhuast port.
  5. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Dual Exhaust isnt sooo horible... It just has to be done right. Not like you can buy off Ebay. You need to consider things like where is the unburnt oil gonna go or is it just gonna plug up in the exhaust. You dont want there to be very much restriction although adding length to the outlets will increase backpressure. So you have to find a medium in the midst of it all. You'll want larger outlets than normal the whole way back. But not too big as to not feed the fuel tank enough pressure. As It is very early in the morning here try to bear with my tangled thoughts. Think of this as well More backpressure = more low end torque. Less backpressure = More top end. Depending on what you have you will want to find a pipe (or make a pipe) that accomodates that vehicle and what your using it for. Offroad=Low end torque. Onroad=Top End.
    If you have Q's ask I'll explain better.
  6. timrock

timrock Active Member

why would you want to make `dual exhaust` for a single exhaust motor?for RC realism?

it definitly wont perform any better.
  7. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

There are many reasons... To be different from the norm, to have a cool sounding vehicle, and realism is just a few. Heck I made a working Glasspacked pipe that really popped. but it was heavy and offset the weight so I will go at it again with aluminum... when I have time.
  8. timrock

timrock Active Member

when it comes to RC realism,two pipes out of the back of the car,smoking,would be awesome.that,along with Red tail lights.
  9. mastmec

mastmec Member

If you run a four stroke, you can pipe in dual pipes and not worry about power loss, it doesn't need the expansion chamber and sounds very cool, very loud, but cool.
  10. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

wow nice, but how can you change the exhaust sound not may i ask? I didn't know you can actually change the sound of an exhaust on an RC like in real life!
  11. mastmec

mastmec Member

Two stroke you can change pipes, two chamber, three chamber, they have different tones, they also change the power band as well. Four stroke has mufflers, you can change them. One has tuning disks, that change the sound and power output called Supertrap ( I think) or one like it.
  12. timrock

timrock Active Member

what do you mean `in real life`?lol
  13. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

haha i meant in real life you can change the tone of your engine to something you like. For instance, I've seen 2 cavaliers with same engine, one tuned to sound like a porsche, and the other to sound like american V8. Big difference there. Can it be done with RC?
  14. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

well, I know for a fact that exhaust tip shape does alter the sound a bit........
  15. Jshaff15

Jshaff15 Member

i got dual exhaust on my car.
  16. mastmec

mastmec Member

I ran dual pipes from the stinger to the rear axle on my T-maxx. I used copper tubing, soldered it all together and ran it, sounded cool, good for bashing around. Oh looked cool too, specialy on the gas.
  17. timrock

timrock Active Member

what did it sound like?was it a deeper sound?
  18. mastmec

mastmec Member

Much deeper, I ran 3/8 tubing, then 't'ed ran to rear end and used 1/2 45deg as echo pipes.
  19. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

thats serious! V8 sounding? im gettin a firebird or stang body and i want a v8 sound. btw is it good for ur engine to use custom piping?
  20. mastmec

mastmec Member

You can run the exhaust just about anyway you want, it will cut down on the power though. Two strokes need a tuned pipe to get the power out, so any changes will cut down on power and increase fuel consuption and it will run a little hotter, which means you have to richen it up and that is where the fuel goes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.