Excellent reference book!

spitfire

It's called Steam Over Stratford, by the same author, Ian Wilson, as Steam Over Allendale. Stratford was a major division point until 1959 for CN, and was home to the "Big Shop" - a massive engine servicing facility.

I haven't had a lot of time to look at the book yet because as soon as I got it home, my mom scooped it and won't give it back!

When she was a kid back in the late 1920's and early 30's, her uncle Irvine Laschinger was the station agent first at Petersburg, then Baden, and finally New Hamburg, so she has lots of memories of that route. She has been telling me how she and her siblings sometimes got to ride a handcar up and down the tracks under the watchful eye of her uncle. Apparently it was FUN! She also loved visiting the office, where her doting uncle let her use the stamps and fill out "papers". I asked her what papers, but she doesn't remember.

She did tell me a little story about engineers with a "sense of humour". One time when she was standing on the edge of the platform to see the "Flyer" come in, the driver let loose a massive blast of steam right at her!!!!

Anyway, back to the book. It's filled with photos of the Big Shop and all the trains that plied the route from Toronto to Sarnia and London. Mikados, Mountains, Pacifics in all their glory. A must-have in my opinion.

Val

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Sounds like a very interesting book Val. I wonder what's left and should take a drive down Stradford way.

spitfire

I was in Stratford over Christmas. The Big Shop is still there, but there had recently been a fire - arson. Don't think it will be around much longer. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Val

Pooh Bah
I was in the shops in the early 60s when they were working on either 6167 or 6218 for the excursion service. We showed up on Saturday while the female members of the party went to a play, and they let us look around. With no flash, my pictures were nearly totally black.
The Stratford Festival was started when they saw that the CN work was going down the tubes. I wonder how many railwaymen got jobs with the Festival!