Examining the New Bachmann On30 Outside Frame 4-4-0

Discussion in 'On30 Forum' started by hminky, Oct 18, 2008.

1. hminky

hminky Member

2. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Is the driver diameter 40"?
  3. hminky

hminky Member

They are 38".

4. Canopus

Canopus Member

Beautiful model. Period.

If you disagree, then you are wrong. :mrgreen:
  5. nachoman

nachoman Guest

Harold, what gauge/scale are you modeling now? Since you seem to keep swithching back and forth :) have you considered building two layouts? I noticed the S-scale diesel era - you could easily build a small switching layout.

6. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Wonderful! Thank you! I think I've found drivers for a Hawaiian 0-6-0! I love the driver offerings from the B-man.

I think that is a prettier engine than the inside frame version. Cool to see some of the interesting prototypes they come up with. Refreshing to see some much freedom from a commercial manufacturer.
  7. Canopus

Canopus Member

I saw a comment that made me chuckle on another forum recently, can't remember which one. They were reviewing this specific locomotive and someone said "Whoever heard of an outside frame 4-4-0?".

LOL. Some people can be so delightfully ignorant.

I'm really pleased bachmann chose to model this prototype, because it's a beautiful, graceful engine. I loathe inside frame locomotives with the exception of 0-4-0 porters, I think they generally look ungraceful and to me the wheels look "naked". As a result I refuse to have anything other than outside frame steamers on my layout (again, with the exception of 0-4-0 porters!).
  8. MT Hopper

MT Hopper MT Hopper

Harold, relative to the front drivers, does the electric motor protrude towards the smoke box or back towards the firebox? The reason I ask is this loco has some potential for the large scale narrow gauger.
  9. hminky

hminky Member

I have added a link to photos and a scale plan of the locomotive on the website.

10. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Thanks for the link to the photos of the 4-4-0. I saw this loco at the iHobby Expo, in Rosemont Illinois, this weekend. It is a little beauty! Bachamnn also had a pre-production Fn3 2-6-6-2 T, that was absolutely amazing. I only had a brief moment to talk with Lee Riley about the loco, but I am impressed with what they are planning for it.