Evestrough

CN_Pete

Feb 4, 2004
Markham Ontario
Visit site
I found a couple of old buildings, unfortinatly the evestroughs and down spouts are all broken or missing.

Does anyone know where i can find material to make new ones all in HO scale.

Thanks for any help.

Pete

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Rix Products makes a set of evestroughs and downspouts. They're fine, but don't give you much to work with. Really, you could do just as well with scratchbuilt parts. Get some Plastruct tubing or brass wire (not "music" wire - it's steel) for the downspouts, and some 1/2 round plastic tube for the troughs.

Val

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Try your local recycle/secondhand/charity/junk shop/car boot sale/dumpsters, and look for an old umberella - the "spokes" work nicely
Shortliner(Jack away up here in the Highlands

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I was frustrated in my attempts to find suitable material for gutters (evestroughs?) Val suggested half round and I had thought of that too, but at least the gutters I'm familiar with aren't that shape. I checked out U channel and eventually selected one, tho that's not correct either. I can't recall the size I used but it would be too large for a home or small structure, mine went on a large building and I thought it looked ok. I did buy a set, it may have been Rix, I don't recall, but for a structure 29" long, it was just silly! It would probably be your best bet for smaller buildings. Downspouts are easy if you want round ones, just use rod or tubing. But for the rectangular corrugated aluminum ones, I don't know of a source. If you have the patience, you could use strip styrene and use a straightedge to scribe the corrugations in. That would be fun.

Good luck!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Wow Gary - scribed downspouts??? Now that's what I call super-detailing. :eek:
And here I thought I was doing well even to have downspouts!!!

Anyway, here's a shot of a house I scratchbuilt showing the Rix gutters and a downspout made from strip styrene (as opposed to round). Rix does provide downspouts but they didn't have the profile I needed.

Val

Attachments

• eaves.jpg
    eaves.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 94

Brunob1

Dec 15, 2003
Visit site
I used brass shim stock. The thinest shim stock can be cut with a hobby knife. I shaped mine over 1/2 round of the correct size.