Everybody keeps telling me to take a hike

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
so I did. :D This time of year they haven't refilled Lake Fontana yet and you can drive aways down the river (in this case on the Great Smoky Mtn. Park side), to the mouths of various creeks, some of which played host to logging R.R.'s at one time. This is Peachtree creek we think. This first pic shows where the R.R. (not sure which one) crossed the creek as it headed up the "holler". Course the only thing left 60 plus years later is the remains of the abutments.

Attachments

• riverabuttment.jpg
    riverabuttment.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 241

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Cool Tyson!
It's really neat to find those old "ghosts"!
Isn't there an old Sou Ry tunnel that was covered up by Lake Fontana, & that still shows itself when the water is low?

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
At this point my friends lunch hour was wayyyyyyyyy over so we had to head back. I'll leave you with this shot from down in the creek, shooting up the mountain. Charlie you are correct my friend, some old timers want you to believe there is a loco still in the tunnel :D :D :D . When the lake level is just right you can take your boat thru it.

P.S. Notice as we go up the mountain the creek keeps getting smaller, in the last shot we are probably less than a mile from the main spring or springs that start the creek.

Attachments

• abuttmentdistance.jpg
    abuttmentdistance.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 211

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles
The "crick" is just to your right as we walk down the old right of way.

See guy's, TOLDJA it's a CRICK! 'taint no creek, that's what ya hear bufore ya fall thru the roof, into the hay or onto a cow. Ty lives there, so he's thu ufficial crick name pronuciator!

Suppose a schmardt guy just watches thu boat go thru when the lake us jest raht, jest in case the lake gets unrhat!

Ty, those are some sweat pics. Just the area where I'll be havin a surry parker log loader
gap.gif

BTW: The LPBs have been buhavin well so far, but I keep hearin wuna them say, "Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel like a pig!" ever time I walk away. Whadya suppose that's all 'bout? :confused: Keep hearin dualin banjos too.
gap.gif

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Real nice photo's Tyson, where's the ghost train.

Jon, it is still a CREEK a crick is what you get in the neck in the UK.LOL

Shamus
waver.gif