Eve Online spaceship models?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by cgutzmer, Dec 17, 2007.

1. the4ce

the4ce Member

Ok...- I have download Eve-online Empyrean Age (Premium Graphics Content).
    - I have opened TryExporter and set the folder. (File -> Set folder...)
    - Then I look't for a model... (res -> model -> ship -> amarr -> ab1 -> ab1shape.tri)
    - I put the textures on it... (res -> texture -> amarr -> ab1.dds)
    But the textures are from the old game. Why aren't the textures from Empyrean Age? Does that 'Open tri-model...' do something?!? :confused:
  2. pupumonkey

pupumonkey Member

Hmm.. I have only been going off the old models since they are somewhat simpler. I should probably upgrade and try the new ones and see for myself.

Amarr Apocalypse is nearing completion.

Amarr Coercer is printed and waiting in the wings.
  3. the4ce

the4ce Member

astrospud, you shown some models from Trinity in Pepakura how did you extracted them?
  4. the4ce

the4ce Member

I have finded the new textures but I have a new problem: (see picture)
    Does anyone have a sugestion? :confused:

Attached Files:

5. pupumonkey

pupumonkey Member

In Tri Exporter, go into textures -> Amarrshared.

there is a couple of Metalrods.dds texture files that I believe are the ones used in the kit designed by Smiffa. You may have to play with the transparrency somewhat to get a cutout you like though.
  6. pupumonkey

pupumonkey Member

Bah! I am hosed now.

Well I installed the premium graphics pack and now Triexporter crashes every time.

I am running beta with granny2.dll

anyone have a suggestion? if not, I might just start over again and stick with the low res models.

7. the4ce

the4ce Member

8. the4ce

the4ce Member

YES!!! I solved the problem. :) You just need to flip the image vertically.

pupumonkey can you give some more details about the crashes? (when it crash for example)

Attached Files:

9. pupumonkey

pupumonkey Member

The beta2 version worked like a charm. of course, now I am bummed because I like the updated models so much better. I am finishing up the old Smiffa Apocalypse model now, and this makes me want to start again.

oh well.

Thanks for the help!

Well before I found these updated textures I had printed out an old model Coercer. Now I am torn.
  10. the4ce

the4ce Member

TriExporter works great at me.

Now I know how to make the lights. At this model I need only one more texture but I can't find it.

Should I try to build the Apocalypse (picture) with the new textures? Or should I try the Abaddon? Or the Raven?

Attached Files:

11. Nosports

Nosports Member

I don't play eve, but i hope desperately the models would be downloadable for free .....
  12. pupumonkey

pupumonkey Member

i have never been a huge fan of the Abadon model.

I say go with the Apocalypse. It is the most elegant of the three.

Can you tell me how you got the lights? Or at least point me in the same direction?
  13. the4ce

the4ce Member

All the models that I know are for free.
    Click here for some models

With the lights:
    I used Photoshop to make them.

You will need: Photoshop, DDS plugin for Photoshop (this will allow you to import the DDS textures into Photoshop), and the texures!

1. Open the dds texture in Photoshop.
    2. Go to chanels and select the Alpha chanel.

3. Select the texure using Rectangular Marquee Tool and go to Edit and press Copy.

4. Go to Layers and then go to Layer -> New Layer... and press ok. Go to Edit -> Paste.

5. Select the Magic Eraser Tool and click on black at the image.

This is the result:

6. Go to Image -> Adjustments -> Color balance... and set a color for the lights.

7. Now go to Image -> Adjustments -> Brightness/Contrast... and put the Brightness at 100%.

8. If you have white spaces on your texture like this one:

select the Eraser tool, set the mode to pencil and chose a size and erase the white space.

9. Delete the Alpha chanel.

10. Go File -> Save as... and chose a format and save.

11. Open the image again in Photosop...

12. Duplicate the Background layer and then go to Edit -> Transform -> Flip Verticaly.

You could try to use another software but I only know that phothoshop can do this.
  14. pupumonkey

pupumonkey Member

Awesome tutorial, thanks!
  15. the4ce

the4ce Member

Glad to help. ;)

I edited the previous post at step 10 to 12.
  16. astrospud

astrospud Member

Sorry I haven't been around; been on the road for a day or so, and offline since last post.
    Great tutorial The4ace!
    I also think you can create faction/T2 ships using the same Photoshop methods, just opening up the relevant Alpha and applying a colour tint to a fresh layer. I did that as a test on the Heron, turning it into a Buzzard. (only because I didn't know the original lighting scheme!)
  17. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I would still be happy with the old version of a caldari navy raven, before the new graphics engine... but it'll be a while before I get around to building any of these so you just go ahead with whatever you like and i'll ad them to my build queue when I'm done. :D
  18. astrospud

astrospud Member

Some progress on the Hulk (Pre Trinity)

I have some screen caps on the progress of my development of a Hulk model.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The first is of the Armour shells that are on the outside fore, aft and top of the Hulk. That second is the body itself.
    I'm sticking with it, but I tells ya! It's like a jigsaw puzzle!:eek:
  19. GTrain

GTrain New Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but have been playing EVE for a bit. I've recently become interested in trying my hand at making some paper models of the ships, but I'm having some problems.

I'm using TriExporter v0.4.1.0beta with granny.dll so I can view the trinity models (the dx9 ones). The ship I'm messing around with (my favorite ship) is the Nighthawk. It is basically the Ferox Caldari battlecruiser but with different textures.

The actual model is under res/dx9/model/ship/caldari/cbc1/cbc1_shape.gr2

I'm having a very hard time locating the Trinity graphic textures that give it the distrinct red+black look. Here is an in-game pic of the ship:

Any help would be appreciated. And I'm a noob when it comes to working with 3d models, so please correct any errors with my assumptions.
  20. the4ce

the4ce Member

Looking good astrospud!

Hello GTrain! Wellcome to the forum.
    You can find the texture here res/dx9/model/ship/caldari/cbc1/cbc1_tex_d
    To put the lights on it look at my tutorial at post 113 and don't forget to flip the image vertically. :)