eucalyptus trees

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by jjqgenesis, Dec 27, 2008.

1. jjqgenesis

jjqgenesis Member

Need to create many eucalyptus trees for club layout. Any advice or tutorials will be appreciated.
  2. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

It probably would help get ideas flowing if you put up a picture of a eucalyptus tree so we know what one looks like. When you make them be sure you put in a few koala bears so everybody will know wat kind of tree it is.:rolleyes:
  3. jjqgenesis

jjqgenesis Member

Attached photo.
    Light colored trunk and peeling bark. Used to border citrus groves here in California during time period (1940's) we are modeling.

Attached Files:

4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

The ones I'm familiar with have brownish, peeling bark with a lighter tan beneath.
  5. nachoman

nachoman Guest

I think you could experiment with traditional methods. Use either twigs or a wire armature, some stretched polyfiber and ground foam for foliage. If you get the coloration and the general shape and size of the tree right, I think it would be passable.
  6. pjb

pjb Member

Check Australian Model Railway Sites

Eucalyptus are hardwoods that are drought resistant.
    Hence their importation from Australia (along with
    some '49 ers from Down Under) to cope with shortage
    of wood in California's mediterranean climate outside
    of the coastal fog belt or mountains that had snow
    packs to draw upon.
    Logically, go to Aussie model railway sites to find
    both suppliers of ready made Eucalypti and how to
    do its.
    Good-Luck, PJB
  7. anubis51

anubis51 Little Loco

Hello blokes,

..............."When you make them be sure you put in a few koala bears"................

Koalas are not bears - they're marsupials that live in several species of Eucalypt (Gum) trees in the south eastern coastal regions of OZ....:yep:

And they are cute, curious, and usually asleep....:sleeping: