ermm help please?

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by imavingalaughaswell, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Okies i'm busy with trying to build paper models from "meshes" from the net..

Here is what i'm doing,and i need help...

First i download a model in google sketchup,then save it as a .3ds.

Next i can open the model files in 3ds max,and it give me the model mesh,and a view of completed model,

Then i select and save all the seperate meshes within the model to seperate .3ds files...

Now the next bit is where i get stuck.....

I open the mesh with Pepakura Designer ready for unfolding.on the 3d view most of the mesh edges show in blue, but some show in Red? i'm guessing the Red ones are the ones that are causing the issues with unfolding...

i have tried editing the meshes in Meta but it seems to take a long time just to edit a small mesh .....

any suggestions for a quick fix?...

i'm new to all the software ,only had it all a few days ...

help please...
  2. kneedeep

kneedeep New Member

i believe the red lines in pepakura indicate cut lines.
  3. voltron5

voltron5 Member

As far as I know the red lines mean that that line does not have intersecting points, or it over laps the adjacent face. I have found the best way to fix that is to explode the model, then intersect all components with the entire model, then delete all the extra faces. Another way I do it is to just delete the problem face, then delete the connecting lines and redraw them. Most of the time you get red lines in pep is because something in the model is not square. Hope this helps:thumb:
  4. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

there is no "quick fix" when cleaning up a mesh. its a sometimes long and frustrating process. the red lines are edges that arent attached to anything.not good if its in the middle of a polygon. sometimes this happens if the verticies arent joined properly.
  5. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

a great place to start is to read through this tutorial

the more complex a mesh is the harder to edit and simplify. most preexisting meshes were not made with paper models in mind. thats why it is sometimes better to model a new mesh.
  6. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

A couple tips

It's not necessary to save the individual parts to separate meshes. Simply move them to separate objects. It's much easier to deal with this way, and will avoid unfolding problems later. I'm not familiar with 3DS or MAX (I use Metasequoia) but the concepts will be the same. For example, in Meta I would select the separate mesh and then on the "Selected" menu click "Move faces to new object".

What issues are you having with unfolding?

The red edges indicate that two faces (edges) meet there, but they are not actually joined together. There are two solutions.

1) In Meta I would highlight the object in the Object panel , and then on the Object menu click "Join closed vertices". This prompts for a distance value (which defaults to 0.0) and then locates any vertices that are "that close" together (or less) and converts them into a single vertex, joining up any affected lines etc.

2) In Pepakura, load the mesh, then on the "3dModelWindow" menu click "Join adjacent isolated edges"

That's probably more a matter of experience. It took me a while at first, but now I can fly through a mesh pretty quickly.

Hope that helps,

7. thanx

thanx SJ ...

since i posted the first post ive worked it all out .....

exactly as you said lol .....

only 7738 meshes in the one i'm working on ..

thanx again for all the help