Erie wood caboose in N scale

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
I needed some Erie wood cabooses to run with my steam locos. With none available I tried kitbashing one using a Micro-Trains wood caboose. The result was good but it took longer than if I had scratch built one. So, I scratch built one.
boos1.jpg

boos2.jpg

boos3.jpg

boos4.jpg

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Fantastic!!

Wow Blake!
That is some SUPER modeling!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
What materials did you use?
How about a little "how-to"? :)

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Thanks for all the kind words, I appreciate it. As far as material and technique, the material is Evergreen Styrene. I use the N scale car siding for the sides and various strip and sheet for the rest. I have a Gloor Craft HO wood caboose kit that has a full HO scale set of drawings within the instructions. I photo copied it at 54% which gives you N scale drawings. Then I just worked off of that. There are things that I like about working with styrene as opposed to wood (should I duck now!! I know there are allot of guys who like working with wood here). First, it is easier to cut. Just score and break. Second, it doesn't warp as long as you go easy on the glue. Third, you can texture it to look like wood. I have built some wood kits and enjoyed them. The one that got me off of wood was a TK models kit of the Ramsey NJ Erie station. Beautiful kit, wood and metal parts, shingles, the works. I spent allot of time carefully building it, repairing the parts that I messed up (because I was used top styrene!!). Then, finally, there it was, a wonderful creation ready to paint. 2 days later, it rained. The structure didn't get wet or anything. Bamm! Roof turned into a canoe, sides all warped, looked like that guys face in Raiders of the Lost Ark when they take the lid off that box!! I tried to fix it, but with no success. Finally, I kitbashed it......WITH A HAMMER!! And that's why I stick with styrene. I have allot of respect for those of you who work with wood and have the stuff turn out right.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Blake,
Sometime back, there was a thread on windows, and I posted pictures of a small, freelance, freighthouse I scratchbuilt in 1961, using Northeast scale basswood. That building is still in great shape, and the windows still work!
I do like working with styrene, and use it as my primary building material. I will build a Gloorcraft kit now and then, just to work in wood again.