Erie in N scale

ezdays

Out AZ way
Chris,

It worked.:) Welcome to The Gauge. Great pic, post some more if you would, I'm sure we'd all love to see them.

Don

MagicMan_841

This has to be one of the nicest layouts I have seen. Sure, those basement empires are nice, but Chris' layout is small, simple, operable, well scenicked.

Good job, sir

Blake

Welcome to the gauge Chris333. I myself am an Erie N scaler. Love your layout! Did I see a Model Power reefer converted into an Erie milk car? When will we get some Berkshires!? Check out my site, I do custom painting and have a gang of Erie stuff there.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
I wish to add my welcome to you too Chris. That's a neat layout you have. Hope to see more of it.

Chris333

Everyone thanks for the comments. If you go to the link you can see more pics. I will try to post more of them, but some are large.

Blake,
Yeah I saw your Erie reefers when I did a search for "erie" on here. I had the MP reefer sisting around with a milk car in mind, but after I saw yours I tore off and built one finally. I have drawings from June 1970 RMC and the size is very close.

I also have a kato mike that is waiting on a headlight casting from bachmann so I can paint it. I didn't extend the coalboards on the tender though (oh well). And believe it or not just a week ago I recieved an old MRC berkshire, I just sent the drivers out to trainworx to have the flanges reduced so it will run on my code 55 track. The big NKP sand box is gone too, along with the walkways so I can redetail it.

Yesterday I painted a model power bay window caboose that I reworked the windows on. Do you know of any N scale decals with the lightning bolts? or maybe someone with old northeast decals?? it will be a pain to spell everything out one letter at a time.

Give me some time, I plan to sratch a wooden caboose like yours. Also I have a gas electric that needs a stillwell roof! Too many things to do.

Thanks again for all the comments

Chris

Attachments

• pic0007.jpg
    pic0007.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 357

Chris333

By the way I thought I would explain the layout. It is feelanced, but based on the Eries bradford branch where it connected with the Pittsburg & Shawmut and the coal fields. The track is all code 55, flex is ME that was laying around, turnouts are atlas #5s. The size of the layout is 2'3" X 4' and is all foam except for some 1x2s around the edge. I panned the whole layout full size on a scrap of cardboard and had all the structures and bridges built before anything else ( I was waiting for the new atlas code55 to show up ) The track to the coal tipple is alll laid now, but I have a lot more scenery to finish.

Chris

Chris333

A company house, thought I would post this one because of all the heavy flooding here in Ohio the last week ! lol

Attachments

• pic0035.jpg
    pic0035.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 241

interurban

Welcome to the Gauge Chris333, Thanks for the pics thats a nice layout you built.
If you have to downsize any pics we have a free down load at the top of the home page, look in the "adding image" its neat.
Cheers.;)

Blake

Great stuff. I have the older Berk and did the same thing. The boiler is clean. Added weight but the drive is very sloppy and the electrical pick-up is the pits. About every 3 months or so, I pick it up, mess with it and put it back. One of these days. As far as cabeese go, I kitbashed a wooden one out of a Micro-trains car. It was more trouble than it was worth. Looks nice, but it was easier to scratchbuild. I also built 2 bay window cabooses. One with 4 windows per side (C-300 as built, no lightning bolts) and one other one. I measured the lightning bolts on a set of Prime Mover HO decals, calculated it out and cut mine out of white decal stock. I found bits and pieces of the words "For Safety, For Service" and "Radio" from several sets of decal scraps from god only knows where. I have urged Paul Tupaczewski at Prime Mover to make an N scale set of these great decals. 2 of my HO cabooses are shown on the Prime Mover Website. I have also urged Paul Ellis (R&D guy for Microscale) and have even sent him a list of what he needs to do a set of Erie/Erie Lackawanna passenger car decals (including milk cars). "Yeah, that's a great idea". Have heard nothing since. I have built an HO Dunmore caboose, a Joe Lofland Models kit. I did it for a review in RMC that will be coming out in a month or so. I am also working on a "How to" kitbashing article on those PS 3 bay covered hoppers with the big ERIE lettering. Anyhow, Below is a photo of my N scale bay window hack. Talk soon and don't be a stranger. LET'S SEE SOME MORE PHOTOS!!

Attachments

• cbse.jpg
    cbse.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 235

Chris333

Blake,
Dang, I'm jealous. Seems like your one step ahead of me ;) I'll take some pics of my baywindow when its done. I did a dunmore caboose in n scale, but the windows on the top don't look so good. We need some brass eched sides for these !!
My berk need a new motor, was thinking about trying the new atlas slow speed motor (?) I'm sure it will be a while before it hits the rails though.
What have you done for erie passenger cars? I have the concor set, but nothing prototypical yet. Some stillwells would be real nice.

Chris

Caboose before and after:

Attachments

• erie caboose.jpg
    erie caboose.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 222

Blake

Passenger cars, hmmmm. The Con-cor and the Model Power heavy weight coaches are pretty close. You can even use them for HW diners as they appeared quite similar from the outside. The Con-cor HW pullman is also very close. I got the Con-cor 6 car heavyweight set and found that to be very satifactory actually. I did cut the RPO down to 70' and got it sliced bac together without messing up the paint. I put a Tomar Erie drumhead in the business car, looks great. The Con-cor Rivarossi smoothside pullman is another good car and so is Kato's 6-6-4 sleeper. Baggage cars, now they are trouble. I still can't believe that there are so few baggage cars in N scale. I started scratchbuilding one using a Model Power roof, not done yet. I'll get around to posting more stuff soon. Where in Ohio are you? Did some extensive Erie Railroad hunting out there a few years ago.