Erie Camelbacks

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
Anyone know if a model is availble of the Erie RR 0-8-8-0 camelback mallets? after one as the motive power for the non-traction line on my layout.

Any help appreciated!

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
humm, thanks, was really after an L1 but cant really justify a brass locomotive plus i dont really want a brass enigne because i know i would damage it.

Could always bash it out of a couple of non-articulated normal camelbacks with a similar bioler size and drop them onto a suitable mallet chassis.

erie2601.jpg

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
there was a artical in a old i think model railroader where some one bashed one ,as far as i know there has never been one out that wasn't brass i have a copy of the erecition drawings that i used to build a brass one for my father in law. if you would be interested in them will see how much it would cost to have them copied.

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Model Railroader Mag Feb 1971 page 40 has "Trackside Photos" of an 0-8-8-0 Camelback made by a man in San Antonio Texas of brass and parts from Cal-Scale and Kemtron. It weights 1.5 lbs, has pulled eight cars up a 6% grade, can climb a 12% by itself, and operate on #4 turnouts. Looks impressive!!!

stuart_canada

Feb 12, 2005
what was it used for??? it looks like another loco ran into it and was welded on . very strange looking loco

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
I am still toying with the idea of building an Erie L-1. I plan to use Mantua parts for it as well. Possibly two 0-8-0 chassis with logger gear boxes and NWSL power. Actually, I think the chassis would be the easiest part. I've been looking for blueprints, but so far no luck. Boiler doesn't look too bad, but the Wooten firebox will be tough.[/QUOTE]

if you diden't notice the post above i do have a set of errection drawings if you would want I will see what copying them would cost. also did you see pics of them after they made them into 2-8-8-0's.

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
iam in the process of sratchbuilding one now anyway - using two mehano Heavy Mountain chassis and gearboxes/motors from a bachmann articulated.

Also contemplating putting a bachmann russian decapod on top of a 4-8-0 version of the heavy mountain chassis to make a 4-8-0.

Got quite a few odity steamers along with my electric fleet!