Equilateral triangles

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by David H, Apr 30, 2007.

1. David H

David H Member

Inspired by Peter's top tooth bush tool http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8299I have a blindingly obvious labour saver to pass on.

It is so blindingly obvious I am sure it must have been listed before. But what the heck, a good idea can stand many an outing.

Equilateral triangles (two sides the same or a right-angle) are great for stiffening a right angle corner and imparting extra structural integrity to just about any open frame. I am sure one of you engineers could explain the vectors and forces and such but I just know the make a a framework or armature a whole lot tougher and less flexible.

View attachment 10668

But, I hear you cry, cutting triangular card gussets is a chore.

No more! Just look at the image above.

It's simple, spray mount a sheet of graphing paper to your reinforcing card of choice. Squares and then triangles can be quickly marked out (count one square, two squares...) and cut. Strips of different sizes just fly from the knife blade.

More time to ponder the next build stage.building.

2. possm_23

possm_23 Member

close ...but not equilateral.......those are right triangles....lol....i teach math......all sides have to be the same length to be equilateral....i couldnt resist sorry.......
  3. possm_23

possm_23 Member

but as you can tell...i dont teach spelling......:)
  4. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Also equilaterals have three 60 degree angles. But your idea is great.
  5. David H

David H Member

Doooo, 15 years of surveying and I forgot to count up to 180!

Don't want no pesky 60 degrees! Press the edit button!
  6. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Good Evening David,

Great idea including the graph paper. I also picked up on your use of very think cardstock. I can apply that also.

Thank you.
  7. David H

David H Member

Hi Steve,

The "very thick card" is what I would call Bristol Board. It is about 1.2mm to 1.5mm thick with "hard" milled surfaces and a rather more pulpy interior. Add cyano glue along the edges and it's harder than plastic sheet.

It costs about £4 per A2 sheet.

I have found the graphing paper is very handy for making interior and concealed formers of all shapes. Triangles are only the begining!

8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Very good idea!
    I believe the first time I recall someone suggesting this was Golden Bear in one of his tutorials.
    Still, a great technique for strengthening and a new twist with the graph paper as an aid!
    Great idea for improving the improvement!:twisted:

9. David H

David H Member

Well I agree Carl is the man!

Been using RIGHT-TRIANGLES in free flight models since way back and if you look at any full sized engineered product, ships, buildings, trucks, trains etc. they are there!

Graph paper saves time and measuring.