Epson printer cartridge chip reset

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Ron, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Ron

Ron Member

Hi guys

I was thrown back when I discovered awhile ago that the new Epson ink cartridges are all fitted with a chip designed to thwart refilling. Their claim is so that the ink levels can be properly monitored.
    Anyways, I saw that the major refill companies are quick to sell you a cartridge resetter for 29-39 dollars and couldn't believe it either.
    After some scouring around the net, I came across a Russian site that has developed freeware software that fully replaces the Epson monitoring utility and actually allows you to access the CSIS chip on the cartridges via your USB or parallel port. This software even permits the cleaning of separate heads vs. cleaning all of them at the same time.

Have a look for yourself

I'm going to write them and see if we can include this one in our download section

All the best

2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

3. Horus

Horus Member

4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hello All,

Do the Canon printers have the same issue as the Epson as regards resetting the cartridges?

Best regards, Gil
  5. Ron

Ron Member

From what I gather Gil, they don't. I should have looked into these things
    before I bought the Epson. The newer Epson cartridges aren't really supported that well by that software unfortunately. It will 'freeze' the ink levels which is better than nothing :) Guess I should break down and buy that resetter.

6. rowiac

rowiac Member

Just to confirm what Ron said, the Canon printers do NOT have the chip on the cartridge that prevents you from refilling them. I ran into this issue on a friend's Epson printer a couple of years ago, and when he found out, he was furious. At the time, chip resetters weren't available for that particular printer. My old (circa 1999) Epson does not have the chipped cartridges, however. Epson started this practice since then.

By the way, the methods used by Epson and Canon to detect the amount of ink left in the cartridge differs drastically. Epson counts the number of pulses that have been sprayed out of the cartridge, and when a certain number is reached, the printer assumes the cartridge is empty. In reality, it is far from empty because Epson wants to make sure the cartridge is not run dry, which would create an air bubble in the print head that is difficult to clear out.

Canon, on the other hand, uses optical detectors and a light prism at the bottom of each cartridge to physically measure the amount of ink remaining in the cartridge. This is a much better system in my opinion.

Canon printers also do not seem to suffer from the air bubble problem as much a Epsons. In fact, I've seen people pull a working cartridge out of the printer and then put it back in and have it work right away. I would never do that on an Epson because it would break the seal and likely cause an air bubble.

7. bwallaw

bwallaw Member

I recently bought the Canon i560 printer which is a very good quality printer that avoids a lot of the problems for which Epson's are notorious. The chip issue is the most infuriating, plus on most models the print head is not replaceable and often clogs. You need to set up a chron job to print a page every day to keep it clear ;-). The Canon has a separate print head cartridge and each color is contained in an individual cartridge so you don't have to replace unused ink. I have had great luck with it so far. I think Gil actually provided some info on this printer which pushed me over the edge to part with the money- $80 at Costco. Great Deal, and Costco will take back ANYTHING if you have a receipt.