EPR Nuclear Power Plant / Thomas Pleiner

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by thomas-r, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Bob Ebophalus

Bob Ebophalus Member

Very, very nice, sir. I agree with Leif. No. 8 can't be a paper model.
  2. thomas-r

thomas-r New Member

Dear all,

Now I'd like to continue with the buildings surrounding the reactor building.

Safeguard buildings I – IV (18 hours)

In the plant, these buildings contain the four redundancies of major safety systems, steam/feed water valve stations as well as main and emergency control rooms. In the model the only shown internal is the main control room inside safeguard building II. However, the intricate roofs, a maze of stairs and the 3D steam pipes of safeguard buildings I and IV make these a fascinating modelling subject.

To continuously show the main control room I simply dispensed with the removable plug in the roof. For adding some reality I printed the main displays on a transparency foil, replaced the paper displays, and illuminated the main displays from behind.

Safeguard building I + IV: In the first floor platform a hole for the steam line is missing. The 3D pipes have to be built in two sections each, then to be fitted in the holes in the walls and then to be connected.

Safeguard building II + III: Here I found the first major mistake in the kit. The markings for the two small "houses" on the roof are too large. I had to copy parts of the roof structure and made some patch working.
    Since the roof is relatively wide I should have reinforced it by .7 mm cardboard. Now it’s a bit uneven.
    The U-shaped housing of the steam lines (it surrounds safeguard II + III, connecting it to the turbine building) fits too tightly. Next time I would widen the distance between the two legs of the U by 1 mm. Having not done this, I had to squeeze the housing onto the building which resulted in slight buckling of both, the safeguard roof and the housing.

Fuel building with vent stack, external portal crane and transport vehicle
    (14 hours)

This building contains pools for irradiated fuel, a fuel handling machine and hoisting equipment. The kit proposes a removable roof. I cut only a viewing hole in the roof and illuminated the inner room by a white LED. The transport vehicle for spent fuel casks and the external portal crane were a real challenge. But finally these items add a nice touch of reality, especially with a scale worker.

The second major mistake in the kit: The inner wall of this double walled building is on the right hand side wider than the outer wall. The easiest way to overcome this is simply to let the inner wall bulge into the building. After closing the structure with outer wall and roof it cannot be seen.

But now enjoy the pictures, have a nice weekend and thanks for all your kind replies.
  3. thomas-r

thomas-r New Member

the next pictures
  4. thomas-r

thomas-r New Member

and here the last two pictures for this weekend.
  5. silverw

silverw Member

Hi Thomas

This looks like a very interesting kit. I am amased at your construction skills and workmanship. Fantastic photography and build report. :lol:

I'm really enjoying this one!

6. barry

barry Active Member

Fantastic detail and build

7. Tonino

Tonino Member

Dear Thomas,

I was away some weeks and it was a real pleasure, returning to Cardmodels.net, to find a thread on this subject.
    I'll explain myself better.
    I noticed this kit as soon as it appeared on the side-frame of Cardmodels.net. I followed the link and found some photos of the finished model. I suddendly falled in love with it. The photo of the turbines and of the reactor dome made me wonder about who was the builder of that particular model. And now I am sure we have found the author of that model, isn't it? Well I have already ordered the model and I'm waiting for it as one of my Christmas auto-gifts... :lol:
    Now I want, before all, to say thank you a lot for the invaluable tips about all the things to be aware of (as I'm planning to build it sooner or later) and those are advices that only who is already passed through the building process can give.
    Besides this I'm very interested in your personal modifications to the original model scheme. I haven't the model in hand yet and can only imagine how and where your "deviations" from the original build process were made. Probably it will be clear when I'll have studied the instructions and the actual parts. But I would ask to you to say more about the details of your building.
    In particular: do you have a copy, a scheme, a graphic file of some kind with the scratch-built parts you had to create? (p.e. the turbine support, or the reactor nozzles...) just to help me if I want to obtain a similar result.
    I am very curious about lighting too. Can you better explain where exactly did you put each LED? and how did you connected all them? (where did you pass the wires?) And, excuse me, I am a total beginner with doesn't know anything about electronics, what kind of LEDs did you use (I know they are of different sizes and colors and light intensity) and how they are to be connected one each other and to the power source?

Finally let me say that this building report will be, for me, a main reference during building process (almost more important than the "official" intructions) and for this I have to thank you again and again.

Your model is amazing.

8. thomas-r

thomas-r New Member

Thanks for your enthusiastic reply. I'll be glad to help you. However, I don't think everybody in this forum migth be interested in all the details. Thus I'll answer you in a personal message.

Just one remark to the different model pics. Thomas Pleiner built the very first model, but only the buildings without internals (It was for the first official announcement in May this year) and most pictures in his website are from that model. While he was preparing the instructions, I started building my model in mid July and gave him some of my pics of progress for inclusion in his website.

9. thomas-r

thomas-r New Member

Dear all,

Finally the last part of my construction thread:

Emergency Diesel generator buildings (38 hrs)
    The two Diesel buildings house the four emergency diesel generator sets (each approx. 5 MW) which provide the real plant with the power necessary for the safety systems, in case the plant is - after a turbine trip - disconnected from the grid.

In the model one diesel set per building can be built in full detail, including 3D exhaust and air intake piping. Again I substituted the removable roof by several view holes plus an LED.

These buildings are a real gem to build but they are very demanding and let me face the limits of my workmanship (The yellow generator is 7.5 mm long). I'm wondering if there is a commercial card model of a ship including the engine room. That would be quite a challenge, to build e.g. Bismarck and showing some internals like engines and turret equipment!!!

Office building

This building looks quite innocent and straightforward, but Thomas Pleiner included some impudence which went far beyond my capabilities: More than 60 3D windows with soffits to be built and window frames to be cut-out! Achieving a waste ratio of 50% for the window frames I went for a simpler version simulating the soffits by tripling the walls, cutting out the window holes and gluing the windows behind the holes without frames.

Transformers (24 hrs)
    The in total 7 transformers and the phase bus which transports the generated electricity from the generator to the main transformers are the most detailed components of the whole model: Alone the off-site transformer station contains 277 parts! I left them as a kind of dessert until having finished all other buildings.

NOTE: One of the phase buses collides with the back wall of the main transformer station. I decided to cut a groove in the back wall instead of re-engineering the already finished phase bus (which should have been the correct way).

The remaining buildings are all more or less of the straightforward shoebox type. Having finished all buildings I had the base plate laminated to a 10 mm plate of Forex, fixed the base plate with some screws to a frame, drilled the holes for the cabling of the LEDs and mounted all buildings. Everything did fit exactly with its marking. Only the turbine hall was a bit oversized, needing some small paintwork to hide the uncovered marking of two staircases.

This model (which is better described as a diorama) gave me 321 hours of pure modelling pleasure and I'd like to thank Thomas Pleiner for this excellent kit which exceeds his former nuclear power plant model (1983) by far.

Santa Claus, should you intend to ship this kit to some members of this forum, you can obtain it e.g. from Lighthouse Model Art, Pete Heesch, Paper Models International or Moduni.

Now I wish all of you a merry Christmas with lots of new kits to build in an enjoyable New Year. The following 12 pictures conclude this construction thread.
  10. thomas-r

thomas-r New Member

Here pics 4 - 6
  11. thomas-r

thomas-r New Member

Now pics 7 -9
  12. thomas-r

thomas-r New Member

And finally pics 10 - 12 with impressions of the complete plant.
  13. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Thomas

A true work of art both in design and your building of it.

WOW :shock:

Thanks for the pleasure of seeing this.

14. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Happy birthday, Thomas, and many thanks for recounting this magnificent build! I reread it just a couple of days ago.

15. Janusz

Janusz Member

Hello Thomas

And I thougnt that ships were coplex and detailed.
    I must tell that Your model left me mesmerized. And even if I personally do not build industrial objects I must recognize that Your plant simply belongs to another category that simply stands apart and sky high when it comes to the quality of work. I probably never will do or even attempt to do something like this but anyway watching Your model time after time really inspires me

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful work

Best regards

16. thomas-r

thomas-r New Member

Dear Janusz,

Many thanks for your kind message. I'm glad you like the model.

However, it's not by far as difficult as it might look. I'm sure that something like Thomas Pleiner's Prinz Eugen is much more demanding regarding working skills.

For those who are afraid of cutting out all the beams and girders there is good news: Thomas Pleiner developed a laser-cut detail set which is distributed exclusively by www.moduni.de (item-no 6137204). This set might save some tedious work and will enhance the appearance of the model considerably with detailed rails, staircases, beams and girders.

Happy modeling!
  17. ghostbusta

ghostbusta New Member

That's kinda cool, man. Very cool model.