Epic .18 Big Bore

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by daytondaft, Mar 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daytondaft

daytondaft Member

hey,
    i was wondering what u guys think about ths engine. I am only 14 so i dont want to spend 130/140 on a new engine that does not run well. i am going to be droping this engine into my t-maxx 2.5............dont get me started on the 2.5 engine. i have heard good things about this engine so far but any comments or suggestion would be helpful
  2. I have been running the epic .18 in my stadium truck for over 3 months and that thing flyies......I am running a 15 tooth clutch bell with a 49 tooth spur gear and my nitro mt hits about 60MPH......in the t-maxx it won't go that fast because of the gearing and also its size....but the engine is great and idles forever......The epic is a great engine and i am planning on getting another one for my other stadium truck....The engine is orginal for the t-maxx, but i said what the heck and put it in a stadium truck.....its rated at 1.8HP 39,000RPM's and for 130 dollars you can't beat that....i also got a new cooling head from crazy nut racing which allows me to lean the engine more...If you go to www.beatyourtruck.com under reviews they have written a very good complete review of the epic.....that review was the main reason why i got my epic.....
  3. daytondaft

daytondaft Member

hey do u guys know what pipe i should use on it or what is recomended? also can you put the ez-start onto the epic .18?
    thanks for the help

p.s. hey westsiderider what pipe u running on your epic?
  4. daytondaft

daytondaft Member

hey i have 1 more question
    with the epic .18 in my stock maxx what would be the best gears in the tranny to upgrade. Because i have heard that the epic can possibly strip some gears but i would rather put in steel ones before that even happened and i was wondering witch ones i would need.
    thanks
  5. Ok I really don't know anything about the t-maxx, if you can describe what it has...like spur gear and if it is plastic and how many teeth...And how long have you had the truck...after a while you'll have to change your diff gears because the epic will take them out after a gallon or so...I am using the cvec pipe and its a very good pipe.... it is pricey...like $40 bucks...you will have to get a three shoe clutch because with a two shoe you are losing power during take off...
  6. mastmec

mastmec Member

As far as the trans in the T-maxx, you really don't have to change them unless you want to, get the slipper spur set from Robenson Racing, and if properly adjusted, your trans will be fine. With the RR gear, it's metal, you should not have any problems, I didn't.I ran an .18 with no problems.
    If you really want your T-maxx to fly, and easy to tune, get an OS .15 CVRX or Siro .18 both are a lot better of an engine, with alot more power.
    What do you want to do with your T-maxx?
  7. daytondaft

daytondaft Member

i want 2 bash with my t-maxx, and is the sirio really that much better???? because i am only 14 and have limited $$$$ but if it is that much better and easy to tune i would consider it........could i get some more info on it. Does it overheat would it be easy to tune for me (ive only had my t-maxx for 2 months so i am not very experienced) but i want something that will put my maxx at 50mph with a good pipe(thinking CVEC or Paris Cant decide what u think????????) also does the sirio start up easy with the pull start??
    thanks!!
    Dayton
  8. mastmec

mastmec Member

If your bashing, and still new, get an OS, they are the best for the money. Easy to start, get parts, tune. Any engine will overheat not tune right. And I would go for a Paris Turbo-ring, good all around power.
    Remember, none of these engines are for running wide open, like flying through a Wal-mart parking lot, you WILL burn up the engine, any engine. Short WOT runs.
  9. The os is a good engine but for the same price you can get the epic which has more power, 1.8HP at 39,000RPM's..........also the engine is easy to tune.....but the OS does come with a warrenty.......
  10. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

The OS .15cvr is covered under a two year warranty. I have that engine and it came with a slip of paper saying "this engine is now covered under OS Engines Two year blah, blah, blah.
  11. daytondaft

daytondaft Member

hey westsiderider
    where did u get ur epic .18 from can i get the price and the link?
    thanks
    Dayton
  12. I got it from www.towerhobbies.com, it goes for 145.99, but if you look at there home page they have codes you can put in at check out that give you 15 dollars off total price.....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.