Entering the RC PLane Field

Discussion in 'RC Aircraft & Watercraft' started by Domovich1, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domovich1

Domovich1 New Member

Hi, I've always been fascinated with electric real looking RC trainersl. I don't have a lot of experience other than spending hours with cockpit master but I somehow feel that the real thing might be a bit more challenging. So here I am looking for my first new Electric plane. I want something sturdy and I was thinking of the http://www.hobby-lobby.com/leonardo.htm from Hobbylobby.com. DOes anyone have any suggestions about similar planes or whether this one is good as a trainer?
  2. Steve M

Steve M Member

Hobby Lobby is a great place for small light electric model airplane kits. The one you mentioned is made from foam and while it may be a great flyer it won't stand the punishment of a new flyer. You should look for a balsa/ply ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) or perhaps if you are up to the task buy a balsa and plywood kit and build the plane yourself.

The Hobby Lobby Skimmer 400 and Skimmer are electric gliders and would be great trainers.

Hobby Lobby have also just released the electric Telemaster plane whish is ideal and even looks like a light plane.
  3. Domovich1

Domovich1 New Member

the price for the telemaster is sky high $395. I think your probably right that I would have to look at Balsa kits but don't you think they would then be a bit to heavy? Can you perhaps recommend any balsa planes that are more affordable (non gliders). Thank you for your reply.
  4. Steve M

Steve M Member

If you want to build something from balsa with the minimum of materials go have a look at the "Stik" series of kits and plans from Modelairtech. Their web page is www.modelairtech.com and they sell plans, kits, motor, gearboxes, etc... The Dimwatt and Lowwatt are basic high wing types. I'd buy the plans as you can then select your wood yourself.

The basic building material is 1/8" x 1/4" balsa sticks with some sheet and plywood. They use the cheap Speed 400 direct drive motors and small battery packs. These parts are available from most hobby shops or Hobby Lobby.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.