Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Very nice of you! :)

I have finished the head job.

During the first assembly I noticed that the perimeter of the head was a bit edgy. It assembles fine and gives a nice result but well, I thought it could be a bit rounder. So the problem was: How to add more faces to an unfold without having access to the original 3D model?

The big advantage of the model is that it is symmetrical and that each petal has the same shape. Increasing the polycount should be possible by editing the unfolded pattern in my favourite vector program (CorelDRAW). So I took one of the petals ...

1.jpg

... and traced the outlines:

2.jpg

Then I re-aligned the traced outline and divided it into the single faces that formed the whole petal:

3.jpg

You see that there are four different shapes (I coloured them differently so that it is easier for you to follow my description).

I took one of the elements, added a guide line that went straight through the middle and drew two lines (red) from one side to the middle:

4.jpg

The lines were centered:

5.jpg

and the edges closed to get a new complete shape:

6.jpg

That way I ended up with a new face which was half as wide than the original face (important: the heigth remained unchanged).

Then I doubled the new face and arranged the parts side by side:

7.jpg

Dang - one face was turned into two faces!

That was quite OK with me but now a new problem arouse: If you increase the number of faces assembly of the current unfold will be trickier and maybe not as clean because there are twice as many petals to be glued together. So I changed the assembly and turned the petals into rings. Now if you compare the new design (right) with the old one (left) you'll see this:

8.jpg

The face count was doubled which leads to a nicer curvature - exactly what I wanted to achieve. :)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Aligning the texture was another big challenge but using multiple guide lines and helpful circles I succeeded. However, there was one major point of uncertainty left: Would all pieces fit together?

Only a test build would show.

DSCF1578.jpg

The new parts.

DSCF1579.jpg

Three rings for the top with paper strips added to their back sides.

DSCF1581.jpg

Step by step they are glued together.

DSCF1583.jpg

DSCF1584.jpg

IT FITS!!! YAY!!! :)

DSCF1585.jpg

The bottom ring is attached.

DSCF1586.jpg

Left: the old head, right: the new one (still missing the eye pieces).

DSCF1587.jpg

Well, which one looks better? :)

Last edited:

blake7

Apr 19, 2012
Mannington wv.
I like the one on the right. It looks more rounded to match the body, plus matches closer to R2-D2's dome head. The one on the left, while still looking good has a octagon shape to it. Looks Great Revell Fan! You have really improved this model.cybermen12.gif colonial-salute.gif

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
SMOOOOOOOTH!!!!! :) :)

The 'octagonal' head was the most annoying part for me.... It just didn't look right.....

R-F, as usual has perfected it..........

Smooth balls are always preferable ...... ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The final bits and pieces were added.

DSCF1588.jpg

DSCF1589.jpg

DSCF1590.jpg

The anttenas are wooden rods painted with acrylic paint.

DSCF1592.jpg

There are a few small tweaks here and there but I call this one FINISHED!

Meet - (the enhanced) BB-8!

DSCF1593.jpg

DSCF1596.jpg

DSCF1597.jpg

Unfortunately it was too windy outside which constantly caused the ball to roll away so I had to take some pics inside using the flash. Two small texture bits must be changed, then I will send the kit to Nathan for approval. Stay tuned! :)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
It is really a neat model. Without his groundwork we surely would not have got this version so quickly. :)

@blake7 : I don't know yet; maybe he or I will. A few minutes after I had posted the picture of my build on DeviantArt I got a request for the new template. So there are fans out there wanting this model. However, Zealot is the first spot to get it.

@DanBKing : I'm looking forward to seeing what you will achieve with water-shaping, my friend!!! :)

Reactions: DanBKing

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Thank you all very much for your comments. :)

@starbuck : It would be great to see a side-by-side picture of both versions. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I'm just wondering WHY this model has eluded me for so long... Nathan released his original model in April 2015..! :hammerhead:;)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I guess so! My mind is fairly marbled when it comes to that..! :D