English Steam "Lorry"?

Lighthorseman

I picked up a small collection of O scale old-time vehicles to fit in with my Narrow-gauge layout, and 2 or three of them look like this one. I believe that they're English steam lorries. Actually, they look really cool.

Can anyone tell me what sort of era they may be from? Could I come up with some sort of quasi-plausible excuse for having them up near the British Colombia-Alaska border?

Here's an idea....this old British fella (sort of eccentric, or senile, depending on the point-of-view) brought them with him to start some sort of gold mining scheme...??

Attachments

• im000309.jpg
    im000309.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 80

Lighthorseman

Anither ane...

Okay, so the green one says "Australia" on the front...

Here's another.

Attachments

• bluelorry.jpg
    bluelorry.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 79

shamus

Registered Member
Ooooh, arn't they beauties, I love um both, pity they weren't HO scale :D I could use them. Yeah :rolleyes::D
Shamus
wink.gif

Vic

Here's Your Excuse!!!

Hey Lighthorse...The Board of Directors of The East Terrible Mining Company has just granted you all mineral and mining rights for your territory and since gasoline is so expensive there (11 cents per gallon in 1923) they have declared that all motive equiptment will be steam powered. Therefore the purchase of used steam lorries for the operation is justified. So there's your excuse!!!:D :D :) We are expecting a sizable return on our investment.:D :D

Those are neat!!! Never seen anything like them. Man! would I love to get hold of them with the airbrush and weathering chalks!!!:) :) :)

Re: Here's Your Excuse!!!

Originally posted by Vic
Man! would I love to get hold of them with the airbrush and weathering chalks!!!:) :) :)

I was thinking the very same thing, Vic. ;) They're really neat as they are, but just imagine them with a dent and a dingy or two and some weathering....:p :p

Vic

Hi Casy.....Yep dents and dings would be just the thing and how about a few leaks and loose fittings around those boilers?:) and soot on the roofs...one could go "hog wild" with those trucks:)

Originally posted by Vic
Hi Casy.....Yep dents and dings would be just the thing and how about a few leaks and loose fittings around those boilers?:) and soot on the roofs...one could go "hog wild" with those trucks:)

Definitely drool-worthy!:p :p :D

I believe that back in the teens, twenties, and thirties, there were a fairly high number of "foreign" cars in N America. I would think there might have been a few trucks too. So it shouldn't be difficult to justify these babies.

Whether that's right or not, they are far too beautiful to pass up. They've GOT to go on your layout.....

Bill S

Lighthorseman

Thanks for your replies!

...And, YES!! They most certainly will be weathered, to varying degrees.

At least the guy driving one of these won't be harrassed by the Anachronism Police like the poor guy in the '70 440-6 Superbird.:D

jon-monon

Beautiful! If you can't justify them, you could either as N-gauger to change your vote in the freelance/proto poll to #9 :D :D :D or you could weather them and put 'em out back broken down. An antique auto collector might have them in their current showroom shine condition. If they were HO, I would say:

There is no way you can justify them or use them in any way, so just mail them to Donations, #3 Knudsen Rd., Cobblers Knob, IN 46999