Enginehouse colors

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I'm currently scratchbuilding a CPR two-stall enginehouse out of styrene (it's what I had at the time) I've almost finished the interior wall framing and I need to know what's a good color to paint the interior walls? I'll be painting the exterior in tuscan.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Lots of roundhouses were whitewashed inside to help with light levels. Looking at a number of CN pictures, there was often a dark band up to about 4 feet (to hide dirt?) then everything else (including walls, wind frames, doors, ceilings, beams, posts, etc) was white.

Andrew

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to go with a light gray and a grimy black wash to simulate the dirt and grime that would acumulate on the walls. Probably a light-to-heavy airbrush of engine black on the upper walls to show both diesel and steam engine soot.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
Go to www.mtmuseum.org and click on "Jackson Street Roundhouse" and you'll see it's interior is light green. That was very common for RR building interiors, and for passenger car and caboose interiors.

If you're specifically modelling a CPR building, might want to check with the Canadian Pacific Historical Society (or whatever they're called, sure they must have one) to see what colors they actually used. Most RR's had guidelines so all their buildings were uniform. :wave:

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I airbrushed the light gray today using Testors neutral gray. I think it'll look pretty good when I use a darker wash that will highlight the wood grain I carved it using sandpaper.