engine???

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by monsterrcbuilder04, Apr 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

whats the difference between a nitro engine and a gas engine?THANX
  2. mastmec

mastmec Member

The main difference is the ignition, gasoline engines require a spark to ignite the mixture, where a nitro engine uses a glow plug and compression sort of like a diesel engine. Gasoline's igniton point (flash point) is much higher than nitro, so it (nitro engines) can use a simple glow plug, timing is adjusted by glow plug temps and compression and fuel and exhaust ports. gas engines use spark type ignition which is adj. by moving the pickup coil in relation to crank position, ports and compression. This is just 2 stroke engines.
  3. monsterrcbuilder04

if its like desiel do you think there is a posibility that you could use desiel in it?
  4. mastmec

mastmec Member

You have to run a special head, I don't know whats different. They used to sell conversion kits for certain engines, they said it ran cooler with more power. I don't think their still around, but maybe could find a used one somewhere.
  5. monsterrcbuilder04

ya that would be pretty cool and the fuel would be a #@$% of a lot cheaper
  6. monsterrcbuilder04

7. mastmec

mastmec Member

8. monsterrcbuilder04

do they have a store or warehouse that i could just go to to save on shipping?
  9. mastmec

mastmec Member

Here's their address:
    PO Box 141, Milford, CT 06460

Email Us at DMPDDD@aol.com
    Phone: (203)877-1670
    Fax: (203)876-2731
  10. monsterrcbuilder04

ya i got that address. its not that long of a drive for me its probably less than an hour. im going to email him and ask if i can go there
  11. timrock

timrock Active Member

i think desiel might be too heavy.too much oil.it probably wouldnt even start on deseil fuel.
  12. monsterrcbuilder04

would keroseen work?
  13. monsterrcbuilder04

14. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

I dont think it would because of the differences in the fuel and you would have to go back to glow plugs I think, I havent ever heard of any 1 haveing a model engine with keroseen
  15. Steve M

Steve M Member

A typical nitro fuel glow motor uses a heated element (the glow plug) to ignite the mixture in the cylinder head for combustion. The glow plug is always glowing and is always "on" to ignite the fuel. Since a 2-stroke motor spins very fast the glow plug rarely cools down enough to cause the motor to quit.

A gasoline engine requires the use of a spark plug like your full size car, motorcycle, lawnmower uses. Motors can be 2-stroke or 4-stroke but if it uses gasoline then it needs a spark plug. The spark plug will only operate if there is a power source to generate the spark itself, like a CDI ignition system or similar.

Model diesel engines are really compression ignition motors. Combustion occurs as a result of the highly volitile fuel combined with very high compression ratios. The act of compressing the diesel fuel (Kerosene, ether and castor oil) forces the fuel to flash and self ignite. There is no glow heat and no spark required. That's why a model diesel engine has what is called a contra piston. This is in fact a piston on top of the cylinder that can be adjusted up or down thereby altering the compression ratio and thus affecting the ignition timing.
  16. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

they also run cooler correct?
  17. Steve M

Steve M Member

A diesel? Not always
  18. monsterrcbuilder04

so there is no way i could run kerosene correct?
  19. Steve M

Steve M Member

NO....you cannot run kerosene by itself as a fuel. This is a severe fire hazard!

The only time you can use kerosene is as part of a mixed fuel in a model diesel engine. The ratios vary from brand to brand as well. A general mix is equal parts of kerosene, ether and castor oil.

There is a section on home mixed diesel fuel in section 14 on the Progress Aero Works web pages at http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/wendy.eifflaender/instruct.htm
  20. monsterrcbuilder04

i think i'll stick to nitro for now. i found a place where nitro is $12 a gallon so i can afford it more now. thanx for all the help
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.