engine whistle stopped blowing

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by bossjoe43, Jan 25, 2002.

1. bossjoe43

bossjoe43 New Member

my o27 engine whistle stopped working. instead i get a power surge directly increasing engine speed. any ideas??
  2. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Could there be an electrical short?

-Rory
  3. billk

billk Active Member

That what my first thought is - somehow the current that should be going to the whistle is going to the motor instead. If you can get into the guts of the monster, look for loose wires or wires that have worn insulation, etc.
    Bill K
  4. fzdancew

fzdancew New Member

Whistle Stopped blowing

I'm not sure what vintage the Lionel is but the original Lionel system used a D.C. relay in the tender to connect the whistle motor to track power. There is a copper disk rectifier in the transformer that puts D.C. on the track when you push the Whistle button. In my experience, the system was always marginal since some speed change seemed to take place even when the system was working properly. You should be able to take the shell off the tender, put it on the track, turn the speed control about half way up then push the whistle button to see if the relay pulls in. Possible things are misssing D.C., Loss of contact in the tender supply, or some problem with the whistle motor itself. I hope this helps to get you started.

Regards,

Frank Z.
  5. 3railguy

3railguy Member

Could be the relay is sticking. Try squirting its moving parts with plastic compatible electronic tuner cleaner/lubricatant. Radio Shack sells it. The contacts could be dirty too. They can be cleaned by carefully sanding them with emery cloth. Or, like others say, a solder joint broke and a wire is loose.

The surges you are experiening are normal. Your Lionel runs on AC electricity. When a Lionel whistle relay is activated, DC voltage is induced to the track via the whistle button and rectifier. When this happens the AC sine wave flattens out and the voltage drop between cycles disappears, thus increasing the voltage (Lionel field wound motors work with AC or DC). When the whistle motor and relay are working properly, this voltage increase is not so apparent because the whistle motor cause some voltage drop canceling some of the increased voltage.