Engine trouble

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by SonicBlueMeanie, Jan 5, 2005.

1. SonicBlueMeanie

SonicBlueMeanie New Member

I've got a 70's Tyco Santa Fe deisel that I can't get to run. I've cleaned the axles, wheels, conntact points, ect. but when I put it on the track I get nothing. Also when I set it on the track, the lights on my passenger car go out. Could this be a clue to something.
  2. billk

billk Active Member

Could be a short somewhere. An ohmmeter can tell you if that is the case and help you find out where.
  3. SonicBlueMeanie

SonicBlueMeanie New Member

Engine trouble/War Baby passenger cars

Thanks, will try it out. Can you tell me what point to point places to check. I'm a little concerned that the moter may need to be replaced, is there a specific spot to check for this? Please excuse the simplistic nature of my questions, this is my first post, and first trouble I've had with my engine.

My other engine is an Athearn Silver and Black War baby (just like the Daylight but all black). I have the Daylight passenger cars (the orange and red ones) but I believe these are not the right match for the War Baby. Can anyone tell me the correct cars for this engine.
    Enjoying the board very much, thanks
  4. billk

billk Active Member

I'd start with where the juice is picked up from the rails. You can measure the resistance between those points on your other engine to get a reference "good" value - any resistance on the problem engine that is significantly lower could indicate a short.
  5. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

If you take the body off of the Tyco locomotive, do you find a power truck with a tall "pancake" style motor with the shaft going across the locomotive parrallel to the truck axles, and the other truck just feeds power to the motor? If that is the type of locomotive you have, it probably isn't worth spending time on. The body can be fitted to an Athearn f7 drive, and i believe the Tyco roof is correct. I think the Athearn S.P. F7 sounds like it is painted in a scheme that is black with "wings" in front that are silver and yellow, if I remember correctly. If that is the case, That is the S.P. freight scheme at the time they ran the Daylight scheme for passenger equipment. It is kind of like the Santa Fe used red and silver Warbonnetts for passenger locomotives, but blue and yellow for freight f units.