Engine Terminal build

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
I like it that you are adding character. If any of the buildings really look out of place after it is completed (the water tower specifically), you can always move them to elsewhere on your layout. Your skills have progressed well in the past year.

As for the turntable, it really isn't that big. You'll be able to fit the S-1 on that TT! 90' was a common size, it would hold Van Swearigan Berks. 100' was also common. 110' too. I believe the C&O would fit 2-6-6-6s onto 115' TT by the addition of a device that lifted the last tender axle. It is always better to have too large than not large enough...speaking from experience! You'll be able to turn a medium sized locomotive with an auxillery tender using that TT.

RonP

Member of the WMRC
I like it that you are adding character. If any of the buildings really look out of place after it is completed (the water tower specifically), you can always move them to elsewhere on your layout. Your skills have progressed well in the past year.

As for the turntable, it really isn't that big. You'll be able to fit the S-1 on that TT! 90' was a common size, it would hold Van Swearigan Berks. 100' was also common. 110' too. I believe the C&O would fit 2-6-6-6s onto 115' TT by the addition of a device that lifted the last tender axle. It is always better to have too large than not large enough...speaking from experience! You'll be able to turn a medium sized locomotive with an auxillery tender using that TT.

This is a Diamond scale 134' TT. I am just about ready to tackle the decking and fence.

Attachments

• guild_12_13_08_054.jpg
    guild_12_13_08_054.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 12

HO King

Nov 8, 2008
Raleigh North Carolina
This is a Diamond scale 134' TT. I am just about ready to tackle the decking and fence.

Hi Ron.Let me ask you a question . Is 134' the largest length of turn table that Diamond scale makes.I would really like to see your finished model .I'm thinking about doing on a round house ( Modern ) module and I run large locos Dash 8s , DDX ,80 and 90 Macs so I will need a large TT

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Hi Ron.Let me ask you a question . Is 134' the largest length of turn table that Diamond scale makes.I would really like to see your finished model .I'm thinking about doing on a round house ( Modern ) module and I run large locos Dash 8s , DDX ,80 and 90 Macs so I will need a large TT

134' is plenty long enough for any of those...it can handle an 18" wheelbase locomotive. The DDA40X, the longest of all diesels, fits on a 90' turntable...which was a very common medium sized TT. Cheyenne, I do believe, is 120'...for the Big Boys.

In my previous post, I mentioned that Ron can fit a medium-large sized locomotive and an auxillery tender on his TT...here is what I meant by that:
NKP 765 & tender have a wheel base of 88'. An auxiliary tender would add about 44'. That requires a 132' TT. This is huge because there are water lines that need to be connected between the tenders. That, or having doubledeaded small-medium locomotives on the TT (I recall a picture of a pair of 3' 2-8-0s of the C&S on the CB&Q's Denver TT...120', IIRC). That is the principle functional benefit to a TT beyond 120'...unless you plan on running the S-1...with its 123'9" WB...the longest of any steam locomotive or diesel...don't know the length of the turbines...

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
NKP 765 & tender have a wheel base of 88'. An auxiliary tender would add about 44'. That requires a 132' TT. This is huge because there are water lines that need to be connected between the tenders.
This is why auxiliary tenders are usually disconnected to turn a loco.

GWoodle

Oct 31, 2008
Nashville TN
The January 09 issue of RMC has a great article about a "new" diesel shop at Marion on the Erie. The story of the facility should give you a lot of ideas for the future. Some great pictures of inside the shop.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
This is why auxiliary tenders are usually disconnected to turn a loco.

Yes. But, in experience from growing around people whom did that...it is nice when the TT is long enough that you don't have to do so. Auxiliary tenders and tool cars are frequently uni-directional. Very few railroads actually used aux tenders and even fewer carried around tool cars, so this is more of an excursionist dilemma.