Engine stuck on corners

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by lionelsteam, Apr 18, 2007.

1. lionelsteam

lionelsteam New Member

HI, i got a lionel engine and i put it on the track, and it can't make it around the corners, i got a 0-27 gauge track, and my other engine makes it around the corners fine, but this engine the wheels line up the same as the other one so it fits on the rails, it just dosen't make it around the turn, any help?? Its getting power to go, but it seems when it hits a corner, it loses power. I thought as long as u have 0 gauge track it should run fine. Don't engine's that run on 0 scale and 0-27 the same??
  2. Johnr0836

Johnr0836 New Member

Lionel makes engines in two sizes, O gauge and 027 gauge. The O gauge engines tend to be longer and thus don't make it around an 027 curve. Your second engine is most likely an O gauge engine.
  3. lionelsteam

lionelsteam New Member

Yes this engine is a little longer by like 2 inches, so i guess that means i have to buy all new track thats longer, ahhhh, nooo. I didn't want to have to buy that fast track stuff. My catalog says 027 is 27'' in diameter, regular 0 is 31'' in diameter, and Fastrack is 036 and 36'' in diameter. The tuff part is when u see an auction knowing weather its 027 or regular 0 when they both look the same. I don't know what to do at this moment, any recomdiations?
  4. Johnr0836

Johnr0836 New Member

It's the length of the wheel base that's the determining factor. How do they compare? Are you trying to buy Lionel track on e-bay? The tracks are the same length. The arc of the curved tracks are different, O gauge track is slightly higher than 027, the track pins are bigger, the O gauge rails are fatter and the cross ties are beefier on O gauge. A knowledgable seller should be able to correctly discribe what he is selling.
  5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

they make o-27 track in lots of different curves, theres the o-27 that you have, then theres o-42, o-54, o-72, there might be some i left out. id get ya some o- 42 curves and try them out. new ones are only 3.00 or under depending on where you shop.
  6. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

You can buy O42 and O54 curves that match up with O27 track if you want to be able to re-use your O27 straights. That's what I did. You need three O42s to get around a corner, or four O54s.

Does it have problems at every turn or just one? I wonder if you might just be getting a drop in voltage over there and this engine is a little more sensitive to it.
  7. lionelsteam

lionelsteam New Member

Well i went to the local Train place, and the guy showded me the difference between 0-27 and regular 0, and your right, O is a little bigger, and taller, me i didn't know that. So i said i would try like 5 pieces just to see if they work, and they did. The pieces were like $2.00 each, but i was just trying to save some money cause im on a budget.
    He said to replace like all the track would be like $50, ouch, so i just replaced the curve pieces where it stopped, and left the middle part 0-27(where its straight) for now, and it ran ok. I just had to see it run, because thats the only fun part for me.
  8. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

You don't have to replace all the track. You can buy wider curves that mate with O27 and run the bigger loco on them and the smaller loco on the track you have now. As you expand, the smaller curves will be less of your layout.

If you check the Lionel catalog, it tells you the minimum curve for their different locos and cars.
  9. lionelsteam

lionelsteam New Member

Lionel just wrote me back, they respond well, and said the minnium radius for my engine is 031 scale, but that wasen't listed in there catalog, but i guess i should of know better. Well you live and learn, because i looked at the photo last night, and the picture in the 2007 catalog has it on the 0 gauge track.
  10. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

:) That was the first thing that I thought of when I started to read your post. That is an important fact to consider when buy any new engine. I'm limited to 0-36 on two tracks and 0-42 and the other. However the train I love and would do anything to own will not run on either. :(
  11. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

id like to see a layout with the 0-84 fasttrack curves........i will never have room for 0-84