Engine Pics & Train Stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Saturday Fun...

FIRST, i would like to thank all those that wished my dad well, THANKS FOLKS!:thumb::D . dad is just about over his bronchitis:D . he was feeling pretty good today, we didn't even work on the layout one bit, instead we ran 4 of my steamers ALL DAY!:thumb::D. the highlight of the day was when we got the idea to run helpers. we gathered up the cars on ALL the sidings, in the small yard, and even had to get five of dads out of a box to make up two 23 car trains. i took my new Big Boy, hooked it to one 23 car train, then put one of my Challengers behind it as a helper(didn't need it, just looked cool:thumb: ). dad took my other Challenger, hooked it up to 23 cars, and used my F-E-F-3(UP "Northern") as a helper. we had made two passing tracks on his layout, but the one around the town wasn't big enough to use. the other passing track starts just before the station on one side of the layout, and ends just before the yard on the other side, so we took turns using that one. FOLKS, that looked AWESOME, and was TRULY, BIG FUN!!!:thumb::D we had a BLAST!:D the whole basement just echoed with the sound of those 4 steamers:thumb: . between the chuffing of those 4 engines, the whistles from all the grade crossings, and the bells when going slow through one section of town, man it was AWESOME!!!:thumb::D. true, i am REALLY into modern UP, but theres just something about big steam that gets me too;) . next weekend there is a small show in Monroe WI. we are going to go to, and visit my grandma after, as she lives in Monroe, so no modeling next weekend:( . but you can darn sure bet there will be NEW engines ADDED to my UP collection!:D sign1 **OK, first 2 pics are of the Big Boy, third pic is the backs of 1=dads Milwaukee Road "Pacific", 2= my UP F-E-F-3, 3= one of my "Challengers", and 4= my new Big Boy:D . fourth pic is of the Big Boy, and the Challenger heading the two 23 car trains. last pic is a section of the layout just before the town. THANKS! :D -Deano View attachment 29910 View attachment 29911 View attachment 29912 View attachment 29913 View attachment 29914

Attachments

• bb1.JPG
    bb1.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 194
  • bb2.JPG
    bb2.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 157
  • bb3.JPG
    bb3.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 152
  • bb4.jpg
    bb4.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 146
  • build.JPG
    build.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 141

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Deano, glad your Dad's feelin' better. I can't think of a better way to spend the day with him.:thumb: Loved the photos...the b&w really look neat.
the bigboy's are impressive....but I have a problem......I'm radii challenged....yes I can say it, I have small radii! There will be no bigboys running on my layout. I thought I was over the problem, but after seeing those beautiful loco's....I'm developing a case of ....radii envy....I'll have to talk to that doctor friend of mine!sign1
oh yeah...you're not helpin' Miles!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
viperman said:
Will those things even run on 22"? I'm stuck with 18 on my current layout, but eventually plan to build a bigger one with with larger radius

I have the Lionel Challanger. It can work on the 18 in radius, and it won't derail as long as your track is good, but it really doesn't look right.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Steve, Ralph, & Josh, THANKS GUYS!!!:D Steve:wave:, GLAD to see you on here!:D BTW, my doctor said i "had a real problem with my addiction with engines":( , i replied: "OH NO doc, when i get the urge to buy an engine, I DO, NO PROBLEM"!!!tooth1hamrviperman, g_e_c IS CORRECT!:thumb: , my Challengers, and Big Boy DO go over 18r curves, quite well:thumb: , sure DON'T look good though:( . the passing tracks at dads have 18r curves, i tried them just to see if they would take that tight a curve, the cabs stuck out about a mile passed the track, NOT PRETTY!;) THANKS!:D -Deano

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Here's a picture for ya!

Hey Deano...saw this one on the web and thought of all you UP and CNW guys...what a nice job of restoration.

Attachments

• CNW411--F7--Restored-CPL-9-.jpg
    CNW411--F7--Restored-CPL-9-.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 133

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
GREAT pic Herc, THANKS!!!:thumb: :D BTW, i know that engine and have RODE in those very cars!:thumb: that pic was taken at the IRM!:thumb: AWESOME place i go to EVERY YEAR!:thumb::D that F7 was restored here in WI at WSOR's paint shop:thumb: , they did a FANTASTIC job on it! that engine/cars is what inspired me to model this;) . THANKS Herc!!!:D -Deano View attachment 29971

Attachments

• eerd.JPG
    eerd.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 152

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
My Kinda Trains!...or, AM I IN HEAVEN?

was surfing the net, and came across these two pics:thumb: . just wanted to share them with any other "engine nuts" out there;) . makes me wish i had a bigger layout so i could replicate these pics:( . on the bright side, now I CAN justify having more engines then freight carsstooges8 hamrtooth1-Deano View attachment 29977 View attachment 29978

Attachments

• UP_Pwrmv.JPG
    UP_Pwrmv.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 1048p9150198.JPG
    1048p9150198.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 130

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Dean, it's good to hear that your Dad's condition has improved: I'd bet that the time you've shared with him has made a big contribution towards that end.
Your new loco is one BIG boy!:thumb: My Grandma used to say that a steam engine was like a big baby: it makes a lot of noise, it needs a lot of care, and it has a tender behind!:rolleyes:
That road alongside the track, in the second picture on your Dad's layout, looks like a good place to pace a train, and, as good as all of the shots of the locos are, I also like the last picture, with only part of a couple of freight cars in view.

Wayne

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey!!

Good news on your Dad. Hope he gets better with every day that passes. Hey, nothing to be ashamed of. It looks really good!!
Awesome pics of that UP "mega-consist"!!! What would be the logic of doing this? Did they all wind-up at some terminal and were needed elsewhere?

Keep UP the good work!!!

Gus (LC&P).

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Wayne & Gus, THANK YOU guys, VERY MUCH!:D **Wayne, i like what your grandma told you about steam engines:thumb::D . **Gus, i am more then sure you are right. what i mean is, i know at the modal yard in Rochelle, after the container train has been dropped off, the engines start stacking up. every so often they run a bunch of them back to Proviso yard:thumb: . THANKS!:D -Deano

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Nazgul said:
Deano, glad your Dad's feelin' better. I can't think of a better way to spend the day with him.:thumb: Loved the photos...the b&w really look neat.
the bigboy's are impressive....but I have a problem......I'm radii challenged....yes I can say it, I have small radii! There will be no bigboys running on my layout. I thought I was over the problem, but after seeing those beautiful loco's....I'm developing a case of ....radii envy....I'll have to talk to that doctor friend of mine!sign1
oh yeah...you're not helpin' Miles!

Well we have Dr Wayne here on the Gauge, maybe he could give you an internet consultation!

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
confused.gif
WhaddIdo?
confused.gif
Miles, I'm tryin' to deal with my problem (radii challenged) and you post this beautiful creature:http://precisioncraftmodels.com/UP-Big-Boy-4-8-8-4%2C-HO-c3151.html
(I guess size does matter.)
That's all right:cry: ...I'll get over it ...I don't need one.....I don't need one..........I NEED ONE!:cry: :cry:sign1
Russ, this is one case even Doctor Wayne can't cure!tooth1

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
I know your pain.... its ok.

in all seriousness, i really don't care when people say "OMG that will nEvAR fit on those 18"curves!?!?!11//1!?!"

If you have fun running it, and the manufacturer says it will run on them, go for it! just make sure no scenery is in the way. a member of another forum once told the story about how the boiler overhang on a HO challenger wiped out every trackside pole and building that was to close to the track on the curves.

my Challenger probably looks horrible on the 22 Inch curves i run it on, but i have fun with it, so thats what i'll do! "it wouldn't look right" isn't always the best reason not to buy a model you really like. you won't even notice after a while.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
= New Engine!!! =

WELL FOLKS, it came today, an SD45T-2 "early model":D . THIS makes 51 engines on my roster!:D i have said it a thousand times, Athearn's details have come a LONG way!:thumb: boy she's a beaut:D . has MANY nice details, yet still needs more;) . have to change the plow, put hoses on it, MU hose holder, antenna, perhaps an AC unit, add a couple decals, and some minor paint work:thumb: . i will be installing an MRC Brillance sound decoder in it(right after this post;) ), they are in new packaging, wonder if the sounds are the same? I'll let you folks know later:thumb: . ANYWAYS, here are 5 pics of it right "out of the box". cant seem to find prototype pics of #4890:( , i guess i will just get some pics of "other" early model UP SD45T-2's and dress it up like them;). :D -Deano View attachment 30023 View attachment 30024 View attachment 30025 View attachment 30026 View attachment 30027

Attachments

• uu1.JPG
    uu1.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 181
  • uu2.JPG
    uu2.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 164
  • uu3.JPG
    uu3.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 169
  • uu4.JPG
    uu4.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC06689.JPG
    DSC06689.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 155

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Nice diesel Deano! I too bought some Athearn's recently (SD70 series). They have some nice detailing even in Nscale...but pull a bit weakly. Overall though a good value for the money IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.