Engine Pics & Train Stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Deano, I pass on the same words, Josh beat me to it. I'm sure no matter how healthy/sick he is, he appreciates any time spent together working on the layout. I'm 24, dad is 48, and sometimes I wish he would work on it with me. Mom, 46, sure likes to chime in anytime I show her the progress I've made, as does dad of course.

I like the layout too. As you said, its not close to perfection/finished, but its gotta start somewhere! Just take a look at mine, this one makes me jealous. I don't have the space to run one this size, but I would love to!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Wow your layout is amazing. Can you give me some hints how to super detail my locomotives without destroying them at the same time? I'm haveing som problems.

I hope your dad feels better!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
green_elite_cab said:
Wow your layout is amazing. Can you give me some hints how to super detail my locomotives without destroying them at the same time? I'm haveing som problems.

I hope your dad feels better!
THANK YOU! green_elite_cab:) , on the get well for my dad, and the complements;):). NICE to have you pop in:thumb: . what problems are you having? i plan on doing a post this week on "How i detail my engines", and will have a detailed list of the items i use, paints, parts, decals, etc. THANKS!:D Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Engine Post...coming Soon

OK folks, sorry i haven't put up the tutorial/helpful hint Sunday as i hoped, life has gotten a little hectic here this weekend, and just haven't been able to finish it:( . ALSO, i am going to push it back a little as i have not only been getting asked about the "how to's" on engine detailing on this thread, but have gotten some PM's and E-mails asking about it. announce1 SO, i am working on the "detailing engines post" NOW, and HOPE to have it done by tomorrow night;) . i have to take a few more pics, resize them and write it up, SO HOLD ON, I'M ON IT!:thumb: THANKS for being patient!:thumb: :D -Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Adding Details to Your Engines

OK FOLKS, i am going to try and do this in two posts:thumb: , so PLEASE wait till the second post comes up before commenting;) . THANKS!:D announce1 OK, FIRST, before i do ANYTHING to an engine, I DO THE HOMEWORK! what i mean by this is i try and look for prototype pics of the engine i want to add the details to. a GREAT place to start is "Railpictures.net":thumb: , they have a HUGE assortment of engine pics in just about ANY road you could imagine. books are ANOTHER great place to look for pics of engines. SINCE I AM INTO UP:D , i am going to use UP for the examples in these posts. lets say i am looking for UP SD38-2 #833, if i cant find the exact proto pics for #833, i would try and get AS MANY UP SD38-2 pics as i could so i have some examples of how UP sets these engines up, it gives me a starting point:thumb: . AFTER i have some pics of some UP SD38-2's, i start looking for similarities in how the are "set up". View attachment 29824 THINGS I LOOK FOR: antennas, plows, MU sockets, MU hose holders, AC units, grab irons, warning stickers, sunshades, all weather windows, radio platforms, GPS, horn placement, hoses, do the steps have safety stripes on them?, do the leading railings have a safety color on them? announce1 THOSE are MOST of the things i look for;) . View attachment 29825 NOW i have a good idea of what items i need to get to make the engine more prototypical:thumb: . more often then not, i use Walther's to get my detailing parts. Walther's is GREAT because they have TONS of the parts you will need. ALSO, if you are not sure what the name of the "antenna"(as an example)type, you could scroll through all there antennas and check the pics out of them, till you find the one you need:thumb: . MOST roads, stick with certain types of equipment, UP for example, uses 4 different antenna types: firecracker, lollipop, and on newer units; dome type and Sinclair. the same goes for plows, and MANY other items, so if you model a certain road, most of the things on one engine will be the same on others;) . UNFORTUNATELY for me:eek:ops: , i collect UP past AND present, so i have a MULTITUDE of parts(some pictured below). if you stick with a one time period, it will cost much less to detail your enginestooth1 . View attachment 29821 DETAILING an engine requires MORE then just the add on parts to do it;) . look at the prototype pic of the engine you want to detail, do you have the decals it takes to replicate the prototype? i have a LARGE assortment of decals in HO and N scale to do this. HOLD IT!, STOP THE TRAIN! "Deano, did you say N scale decals?" YOU BET!:thumb: , and heres why, many of the warning stickers on the prototype are small, and not many of the HO decal sheets have decals small enough to simulate these stickers, THIS is why i buy some N scale decals, to "simulate" some of the stickers on the prototypes;) . some of you have asked me in my threads how i have got all the warning stickers to do this, now i have let you in on my secret:thumb: . i get my decals from the LHS, and Walther's. i "set" my decals with SOLVASET. i put one coat on, let it COMPLETELY DRY, then put one more coat on them. announce1 OTHER items you will need: an assortment of paint to match the road/s you model, Dull Cote, an assortment of small brushes, one medium brush, 70% isopropol rubbing alcohol, small screwdrivers, exacto knife, tweezers, pin vice & drills, and your choice of fast setting glue. View attachment 29822 NOW that you have EVERYTHING you need, you can start detailing the engine. THE NEXT COUPLE PICS, will give you some ideas of what you can do:thumb: . the first pic is of my UP MP15DC, heres what i have done: moved the horn to the "UP correct" place on the roof, put all weather windows on it, added 9 decals to it, placed a firecracker antenna and a beacon on the roof, detailed the hoses, air brushed over the zebra stripes, and put new ones where they are supposed to be, and weathered the trucks, air and fuel tank:thumb: . View attachment 29823 CONTINUED....

Attachments

• 333333.JPG
    333333.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 444444.JPG
    444444.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 555555.JPG
    555555.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 111111.JPG
    111111.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 222222.JPG
    222222.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 175

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Adding Details to Your Engines...Continued

ANOTHER engine i have done quite a bit of work to is this SD38-2. things i have done are: added an AC unit, added brackets for the beacons, beacons, radio platform, lollipop antenna, GPS, MU hose holder, added 8 decals, a plow, sunshades, detailed the hoses, painted the coupler cut bars, leading railings and step edges white, painted all new parts, painted MU socket, and weathered the trucks, air and fuel tank.:thumb: something i HAVEN'T done to this yet is add the number boards, if the engine DOESN'T come with them, i use my printer to print out a set, then glue them on. View attachment 29826 FOLKS, NOT ALL engines require alot of work to get them real close to prototypical. MANY of the engines today are darn near "perfect" right out of the box:thumb: . TOWER55, BLI, P2k, and Athearn RTR's are some of these that already have GREAT detailing, and require little or no work to be done to them:thumb: . THIS Kato SD90/43MAC took very little to satisfy me, heres what i did, painted the leading railings and step edges white, MU socket red, detailed the hoses, changed the plow to UP/CNW style, and weathered the lower half of the engine:thumb: . View attachment 29827 I am one that HATES to weather my engines, I KNOW thats NOT very prototypical:rolleyes: , but i HATE to do it. one thing i do to give the engine the appearance that it is "used", is to weather the LOWER HALF of it, that is enough to satisfy metooth1 . i only have 3 engines i have weathered "all over", if you choose to do this(and no doubt it would turn out better then mine:eek:ops: ), it would make your engines look "more" prototypical. i AM NOT a great weatherer, so i chose NOT to do this anymoretooth1 . View attachment 29828 View attachment 29829 announce1 I THINK THAT ABOUT COVERS IT!:thumb: i HOPE i might have helped someone out:thumb: . THANKS! :D -Deano

Attachments

• 666666.JPG
    666666.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 7777777.JPG
    7777777.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 888888.JPG
    888888.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 217
  • 999999.JPG
    999999.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 198

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Yes indeed you have Deano. Thanks so much. Maybe I will get around to it soon.:D :)

Nice work and great pictures and even better tutorial :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
UP SD40-2 said:
...lets say i am looking for UP SD38-2 #833, if i cant find the exact proto pics for #833, i would try and get AS MANY UP SD38-2 pics as i could so i have some examples of how UP sets these engines up, it gives me a starting point...
Josh and viperman, THANKS!:D I'm glad you guys liked the posts on "detailing engines":D . viperman, read the quote, i think this will help you on your BN GP40-2:thumb: . :D -Deano

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
wow, nice stuff

I have alot of the supplies for all of that, but i'm haveing an issue with the Pilot details and truck details on a locomotive i was working on.

for one thing, those tiny MU covers are a pain to glue on correctly. does anyone have any adivce for these? secondly, on the trucks of my locomotive, there are hoses that go up from each axle into the locomotive somewhere. I orignally super glued som copper wire to the sideframes and painted them to match the trucks, but they keep falling off. is there a better way to secure them? i was considering drilling a hole into them with a pin vise, but so far that isn't working.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Tobias, THANK YOU!, for the VERY KIND words:D . **green_elite_cab, THANKS!:D the "MU covers", i use tweezers and a REAL FAST setting glue to put them on. i am sorry, but i am a little lost on your truck problem, not sure what advice to give you:( . could you please post a pic, so i can see your problem, sure would help to give you the right advice:thumb: . THANKS!:D -Deano

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Dean, it sounds to me like he's talking about wheel slip indicator pickups. Drilling a hole would probably help, although copper wire will "fatigue" as the truck swivels and will eventually break. If I recall correctly, on the prototype these wires are pretty small. You might have better luck using black thread: insert them into the holes and apply a little ca.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
wheel slip indicator pickups, THANK YOU, Wayne, for figuring that out!:thumb::D. i think you have come up with an EXCELLENT remedy too!:thumb: that should help green_elite_cab out, and put him ON TRACK.:thumb: THANKS!, Wayne. :D -Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
It's Alive!!!

UP wouldn't spend the money to "resurrect" one of the Big Boys, but Big Ed, Fred and the rest of the crew here at UP's "Rock Valley Sub" were determined to MAKE IT HAPPEN!:thumb: Big Ed, spearheaded the operation, and instructed Fred to find some backers for the project;) . after MUCH persistence, Fred got the money that was needed to bring Big Boy #4005 BACK TO LIFE!!!:thumb:tooth1. after MANY long hard hours of work, the crew here at the Rock Valley Sub has FINISHED HER!!!:thumb: sign1 OK, OK, honestly folks, the Big Boy i preordered about 5 months ago has arrived today!bounce7 i was so impressed with my 2 athearn challengers, i just knew their Big Boy would be JUST as AWESOME!!!:thumb: . AND IT IS!!!:thumb: :D sorry the pics arnt the best:( . i have also noticed after taking these pics, i need to adjust the numberboards on her:eek:ops:. the sound is the same as the challengers have in them, but thats OK, it sounds GREAT!:thumb: :D cant wait to take her for a stretch at dads Saturday:thumb: . BTW, have you hugged your Big Boy today? I HAVE!!!:thumb::D THANKS!:D -Deano **EDIT: added a couple black & whites from my layout. View attachment 29879 View attachment 29888 View attachment 29903 View attachment 29904

Attachments

• DSC3358c1.JPG
    DSC3358c1.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 166
  • BB2.JPG
    BB2.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 162
  • bw2.JPG
    bw2.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 161
  • bw7.JPG
    bw7.JPG