Engine Pics & Train Stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Hello Deano, nice to have you back with your new thread (I know, I am a bit late to say this). You are doing great jobs to make your engines look like the prototypes. When looking at your locos, I am wondering how you do it. What kind of decals do you use, Microscale, dry transfers? Do you use Micro Sol or Micro Set to apply them? Do you give your engines a coat of clear paint? What paint do you use? You see, you raise a lot of questions with your thread. :wave:

WOW, after I posted this reply, I checked my mailbox and found a mail by ebay. I placed a bid for a new Trix Light Mikado with RP-25 wheels and ESU-sound on ebay Germany a few days ago. The auction just ended and I won it for 116,06. bounce7 It’s incredible, it was the first time I ever placed a bid on ebay. Tobias (Caliban), the Trix Mikado you "stole" at ebay inspired me to give it a try. :thumb:
I considered to buy a BLI AT&SF Light Mikado when they are doing their new run next February. But this Trix engine is even nicer and I got it for only half the price of the BLI. The Trix Mikado is a NYC engine and I need an ATSF steamer. So I have to convert it. I hope, the steam experts around here will help me doing it. But that’s a topic for a new thread (in a few weeks, when I’ll be back from my holiday).

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
ls1gto:wave:, THANK YOU! for the complement:D . **Josh, viperman, and Miles, sorry guys, dont know where the photo was taken, i picked it up off the net;) . :D -Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Kurt:wave:, GLAD to see you pop in!:D WOW! now YOU got an engine for a REAL BARGAIN!:thumb: i wish i had the luck you and Tobias have;) . as far as how/what i use to do the engines, i will be doing a post soon that will cover the questions you have asked:thumb: . THANKS for the kind words and interest KURT!:D -Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Layout Tour: The Rock Valley Sub (OR, a day with Big Ed & Fred)

OK folks, welcome to my layout tour:thumb: . i hope you find it enjoyable;) . i project the tour to take 4 posts to complete, so PLEASE, NO POSTS TILL ITS DONE;) . THANKS!:D **OK, we start the tour with 2 of the Rock Valley Subs best, thats right, engineer Big Ed, and brakeman Fred:thumb: . both have worked on the sub for years, and love their jobs. Ed & Fred are using an SD38-2 for the first time on the sub today. View attachment 29608 the SD38-2 is ALOT more modern then the old GP40 they are use to switching with;)tooth1. View attachment 29609 when Ed & Fred arrive on the west side of town, they see a cut of cars on the interchange track, waiting to be distributed to the local businesses. View attachment 29611 our crew pulls the cars ahead of the switches so they can use the run around track to grab them from behind, making it easier to distribute them;) . View attachment 29612 the crew then pulls the cars into a holding track, so they can put the cars ready to be picked up, out on the interchange track. View attachment 29613

Attachments

• j1.JPG
    j1.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 208
  • j2.JPG
    j2.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 204
  • j3.JPG
    j3.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 199
  • j4.JPG
    j4.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 200
  • j5.JPG
    j5.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 201

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
CONTINUED: Layout Tour: The Rock Valley Sub (OR, a day with Big Ed & Fred)

After the fresh cars have been moved out of the way, the crew makes its first stop, Tri-Star Industries:thumb: View attachment 29614 Tri-Star Industries is a HUGE plant that has two sidings to serve it, one on the north side, and one on the south side of the plant. View attachment 29615 View attachment 29616 Tri-Star Industries not only relies on rail, but trucks too. View attachment 29617 after the cars are pulled from the plant, our crew sets them out to the interchange track, and spots the fresh cars where they need to go, finishing their work for this plant.:thumb: View attachment 29618

Attachments

• j6.JPG
    j6.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 201
  • j7.JPG
    j7.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 192
  • j8.JPG
    j8.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 190
  • j9.JPG
    j9.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 194
  • j10.JPG
    j10.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 191

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006

after finishing up TRI-STAR Industries, Ed & Fred are starting to get a little hungry, there is a Diner next to the end of Wye track on the way to their next stop. so they decide to head over to the West End Diner:thumb: View attachment 29619 once our crew gets there, they can see the Diner is busy;) . View attachment 29620 STAY CLEAR OF THEM, BOYS! seems those bikers were a little to friendly with the waitress, and their girlfriends have some words with them;)hamrtooth1. View attachment 29621 looks like State Patrolman Bob is enjoying a donut before he hits the roadtooth1 . View attachment 29622 after our crew eats $4.99 worth of sheer heartburn food, they head out to finish the days work. on the way back to the engine, they see a coal train with an SD90/43MAC on the point, and a patched SD50 headed toward Chicago on mainline #2. View attachment 29623

Attachments

• j12.JPG
    j12.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 192
  • j13.JPG
    j13.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 186
  • j14.JPG
    j14.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 186
  • j15.JPG
    j15.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 188
  • j16.JPG
    j16.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 196

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006

now that heartburn has set in, we find our crew at the last business stop for the day, UNITED-TRANSFER. United Transfer is a modern day "team track" this place transfers products from rail to truck, and truck to rail:thumb: . View attachment 29624 United Transfer is serviced with one siding, so our crew makes quick work of exchanging cars:thumb: . View attachment 29625 now that Big Ed & Fred have finished the west side of town, they take the cars they have collected today back to the yard for reclassification. View attachment 29626 time to call it a day!:thumb::D View attachment 29627

Attachments

• j17.JPG
    j17.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 182
  • j18.JPG
    j18.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 188
  • j19.JPG
    j19.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 186
  • J20.JPG
    J20.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 183

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Well done tale of the workingman's day, Dean, and some nicely staged scenes, too.:thumb: :thumb: Besides the (as usual) well-done locos and freight cars, the vehicles are particularly nice. I think too that that cop's twin brother works for the local force here: same diet and same physique.:D

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Wayne, viperman, and Miles, THANK YOU ALL!! for the VERY KIND words.:D **Miles, yep, that about sums up my layout:eek:ops: . its only 8'x30'', and i have it set up so though NOT prototypical, i can switch with ANY engine from the size of a SD90/43MAC, and smaller. doing that, takes ALOT of track space, and leaves little room for much else. it IS a VERY functional switching layout though:thumb::D . i get GREAT enjoyment running on it:D . sure i could have jam packed it with stuff, but i was trying to set it up to what i thought would be more prototypical for the size;) . i could have done more if i just used small engines, but then i would have my big engines sitting on a shelf collecting dust, and with the money i have tied up in the engines and sound in each one, i couldn't leave them on a shelf;)tooth1 . i took a TON of pics to make the layout tour, most had more detailed scenes of the layout, but i didn't want to drag the tour out, so there was ALOT of pics that didn't make it in the tour:( . perhaps i will post them in future posts;) . OH YEA, another thing that makes the layout look bigger is i have some "loose" backdrops, i have placed these in different spots on the layout for some of the pics i take, to change the look of an area;) tooth1 . ANYWAYS, i hope you guys have enjoyed the show. THANKS!:D -Deano View attachment 29628

Attachments

• op10.JPG
    op10.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 194

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Deano, that was a most enjoyable ride, to follow ED & Fred on their tour. It made your layout really come alive. Your skilful way to take pictures, makes your layout much bigger than it really is. Without your threads, I would miss something on The Gauge. :wave:

ratjag

Jan 13, 2006
uk
Great tour & great modelling Deano!:thumb: I was convinced it was a few shots of a large layout --to find it was the same size as my urban switching layout was a surprise!
jawdrop (I must take note of your weathering techniques as well.).:)
I hope my new layout looks 1/2 as good.

Dennis

FiatFan

Jul 16, 2004
MilesWestern said:
I've always wondered what in the world that switcher was, an SW10? :confused:

Miles -

Here's a BNSF SW10

PA240057.jpg

PA240058.jpg

If you're interested, send me an e-mail and I will send you the full size pics.

Tom

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Thanks for the tour...what a good idea. Brings the location to life of all the pictures you've posted so far. Really nice layout Deano. You should be rightly proud of your effort. BTW, that'd be pretty cool to park the diesel by the diner for lunch...would you leave it running? What's the rule on that one at the Rock Valley Sub?

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
No, that's an SW1000. The SW10 I though was what I correctly thought to be the UP rebuild of the small earlier models! :cool: Nice Picture thoug Dean!

Is you diner the City Classics, or the Walther's Version? I got the Walther's one for my birthday! :thumb: Hopefully you'll see it completed someday! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.