Engine Pics & Train Stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Your point about the difference between our models of articulated locomotives and the prototype provides an excellent reason to buy plastic articulated models rather than brass. The brass models are faithful to the prototype right down to the way they are articulated, with the rear driver set one a solid frame that includes everything from the cab forward except the pilot which is part of the front driver set sub frame. We have had people try to run brass Challengers, not Big Boys on our club's modular layout. Even with 36 inch radius curves, if the Challenger was on the inside main, the smoke box hung about 1/2 inch past the outside track on the outside main! We had to restrict them to the outside main, and then there could be no scenery items to the outside of any curve on the layout for the smoke boxes to hit! We have one old corner module that has the tracks running through a cut with real rocks embedded into the plaster on both sides to simulate outcroppings. If that corner was used, we could not run a brass Challenger on the layout. If we had tried, the damage would not have been to the layout, those rocks embedded in don't give at all!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks for posting this, Dean. While I was aware of the history behind the locomotive, I'd not seen the photo with the chalk-written name.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Miles, Kurt, Steve, Gus, Russ and Wayne, THANKS!, for the complements:D. GLAD you guys found some enjoyment in it:D. i have books, vids,and have searched on line for the info to do the post, funny thing is, NOWHERE can i find the name of the machinist that wrote the name Big Boy in chalk on the first engine delivered. the only thing mentioned is it was a machinist at Alco that wrote it on the fire box door. THANKS! :D -Deano

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Cool to hear the history of that WSOR SD Deano. Had no idea that it was at one point a UP!

Thanks also for the Big Boy lesson there. While I have read some of that info before, I don't think I've seen that much all in one place, or seen those photos. Ever since I was in probably 4th grade, I've known about the Big Boys, and that whole time loved them too! I have seen one, in a museum in St Louis, probably 15 years ago, if not longer. Don't have any pics, as I was too young to even think of it then. One of these days I'll have to head back down there to visit him, and see my grandpa while I'm there

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Steven:wave:, THANK YOU for the complements!:D i must be loosing it, i could have swore i checked this thread in the last two nights and saw a pic you posted of WSOR #4008:confused: now i don't see it:confused: . anyways, i didn't reply to your post because in the pic i noticed the third engine back was an unusual engine WSOR has, and since UP and WSOR have yards in Janesville, i have taken HUNDREDS of pics of there stuff and knew i had taken a pic of that engine, but wanted to find it before i posted:thumb:. now, tonight, i found the pic, and i don't see the pic you posted...or i thought you did:confused: . ANYWAYS, here is the engine that was the third one back:thumb:. ALSO, i am posting a couple pics of a hopper i have finished:D. THANKS! :D -Deano View attachment 31540 View attachment 31541 View attachment 31542 View attachment 31543

Attachments

• DSC03406.JPG
    DSC03406.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 114
  • rrg1.JPG
    rrg1.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 111
  • rrg2.JPG
    rrg2.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 112
  • rrg3.JPG
    rrg3.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 110

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Cool loco there! I didn't even notice that loco in the pic I posted. Little obvious now that I know what I'm looking for. hehe. Were the CNW Operation Lifesaver locos anything special, or were they all painted like that? Nice work on the hopper too!

I did post a pic of 4008, but apparently putting a link to the pic along with the pic itself isn't good enough for some of us, and they hid the posts. Its getting really annoying, especially if look back about 15 pages or so, when a lot of us were posting pics from the net. Guess I'm done posting pics that I myself didn't snap. After all, we may get shut down for re-posting copywrited material. I'd watch it if I were you too Deano!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
OH CRIPES, sorry to hear that Steven:(. I'm NOT to worried though, A LOT of the pics i post I HAVE TAKEN;), and what i haven't, isn't copywrited:thumb:. THANK YOU!, for the kind words on the hopper:D -Deano

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Well, never post anything from railpictures.net. Could get us all in big trouble for it! Evn though the pics over there say where they are from, and have the author's (?) name on them. Still not good enough.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yep.. SD38-2s like #833 are cool to watch and listen to... Basically they are the overgrown 6-axle versions of GP38-2s with the same superloud normally-aspirated engine. When they are coming, you WILL hear them from a mile away. :D

Deano's #939 is a diesel passenger E-unit... Not the turbines.. You can tell from the 6-axle EMD A-1-A Blomberg trucks and the lack of louvers on the sides of the engine.. Plus the Big Blow's nose looks flatter and wider.

Hope this helps!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Deano's "current" Top 5

THANKS! Tom & Miles, for setting Steven straight on the engines:thumb: . Steven:wave:, i AGREE, engine #833 IS AWESOME!:D to be honest with you, it is one of the TOP 5 engines i run MOST!:thumb: here are the Top 5 engines that get the MOST running time on my layout:D. are they my favorites? yes, but not really...if that makes sensetooth1. these engines all have EXCELLENT sound, and are the funnest to run on my current layout:thumb:. ALL my engines are my favorites, and honestly i like my E9's better(just for one example), but like i said, these are the funnest to run on my layout, so they get the most run time;). announce1 IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER: 1- my FIRST SD40-2SN, its also my avatar;). this engine has LokSound in it. 2- SD38-2, this engine has LokSound in it. 3- GP30, this engine has QSI, and IS MY BEST sounding engine!:thumb: 4- MP15DC, this engine has QSI in it. 5- SD45-T2, this engine has an MRC Brillance sound decoder in it. SO there you have it, the Top 5 run engines on my layout:D . THANKS!:D -Deano View attachment 31554 View attachment 31560 View attachment 31556 View attachment 31557 View attachment 31558

Attachments

• tp1.JPG
    tp1.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 90
  • tp3.JPG
    tp3.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 90
  • tp4.JPG
    tp4.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 88
  • tp5.JPG
    tp5.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 92
  • tttt.JPG
    tttt.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 86

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Hey Deano
I starting to get a hankering for some YELLOW on my layout...Is there something wrong with me?sign1

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Nazgul said:
Hey Deano
I starting to get a hankering for some YELLOW on my layout...Is there something wrong with me?sign1
Steve:wave:, Hmm...i would say your problem is, there is something RIGHT with you!:thumb: my best advice is: buy two UP F units, and call me if the problem persists;). sign1 :D -Deano

Status
Not open for further replies.