Engine Pics & Train Stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Deano, it looks and sounds like you had a great vacation!! And you got some cool pics.:thumb: WOW, those freight cars are really bad looking, some of them look like there going to fall apart any second!!:eek: :eek:

Those 2 big trees look sooo good in the park on your dads layout,it really makes the park stand out:thumb: :thumb:

And the ballasting that your dad did looks great, I don't remember seeing that part of his layout, looks pretty cool:thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for the pics, I enjoyed seeing them and reading your posts:thumb: :D

viperman

Deano, that park looks great like that. Is that the final plan, or is there still some debate?

You should see the CNW ballast car (I think) that is on a siding here in Crystal Lake, along Main St. Very beat up. There is also a UP MP15DC with a bay window caboose attached on another siding. Both are right in the downtown area. Next time you plan on coming down this way, pm me for my # and I could show ya

Nazgul

Deano
You got to spend the day with real trains, model trains, and last, but certainly not least...DAD. I don't think it could have been a better vacation day!:thumb:
The park looks great...I really like the way it is laid out and of course your ground-cover looks beautiful as usual:thumb: ....How about a small fountain or flagpole?:) But it really looks great as is:thumb: :thumb: look forward to seeing more!

UP SD40-2

Josh, THANK YOU!, for the complements:D . **Steven,THANKS!:D i wont be headed your way till summer now, when i make my annual trip to IRM in Union ILL.:thumb: that engine and caboose would be AWESOME to see!:thumb: any way you could post some pics of them? **Steve, THANK YOU!!:D man, you hit the nail on the head, A FLAG POLE!!!:thumb: I feel so stupid for not thinking of that myself:eek:ops:, after all, it IS a memorial parkwall1 . i WILL take your advice;) , THANKS MAN!:D after looking at these pics, i think i will put a trash can in there too. **announce1 HERE is the park, well, i thought it was finished...till Steve's idea come up. **announce1 the bottom two pics are of my VERY FIRST ENGINE EVER!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: i thought i got it in 1974, dad says it was 1973, so i was 8 or 9 years old when i started this hobby:D . Dad pulled it out of a box tonight, we tried to get it to run, it wanted to, but just wouldn't:( . i have it here at home now, i am going to take it apart, lube it up, and i would like to paint it up:thumb: . don't know much about these though:eek:ops: , would like to know if UP had any, and just what colors they were. i am sure the boiler was probably green, but was the cab really red? it was originally a ATSF, but i would prefer UP, or another road;) . ANY INFO on this type of engine would be GREATLY appreciated. THANKS! :D -Deano View attachment 31143 View attachment 31144 View attachment 31145 View attachment 31146

Attachments

• pp11.JPG
    pp11.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 69
  • pp22.JPG
    pp22.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 71
  • pp33.JPG
    pp33.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 67
  • pp44.JPG
    pp44.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 70

doctorwayne

Hey Dean, your park looks really good :thumb: :thumb: and it does a nice job of filling in an otherwise unuseable spot on your Dad's layout. The flagpole and trash can will make it even better.
I'm sure that the U.P. had loads of those 10-Wheelers. A quick coat of Armor Yellow and a shot or two of Harbormist Grey, and she'll be good to go! :D Or you could do it up as a Central Pacific loco, but in the Black Widow scheme, with a "patched" number on the cab. ;) Good luck with your attempts to get it running.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

doctorwayne said:
I'm sure that the U.P. had loads of those 10-Wheelers. A quick coat of Armor Yellow and a shot or two of Harbormist Grey, and she'll be good to go! :D Or you could do it up as a Central Pacific loco, but in the Black Widow scheme, with a "patched" number on the cab. ;) Good luck with your attempts to get it running.

Wayne
Wayne, THANK YOU, for the complements on the park!:D and a THANK YOU for the laugh on the painting the enginesign1 . BUT SERIOUSLY, i have ALWAYS considered you to be one of the "Steam Gods" of the forum:thumb: . i was REALLY hoping YOU could give me some insight on these engines? what time frame they ran in, colors they REALLY were, etc.;) ANY INFO on these? THANKS! :D -Deano

doctorwayne

Dean, I'm no expert on steam, especially stuff that's that much older than me!:D I would guess that your loco would've been around before the Golden Spike ceremony of the UP/CP, and would have been in service into the very late 1800's. It may have been upgraded to a coal burner, and lasted even longer. I believe that there's a similar loco in a museum in California: perhaps someone from that area can enlighten us both.

Wayne

MilesWestern

That engine is based on A sierra rr prototype. If you'd like to make it sierra, you'd be doimg that engine a favor! :thumb:

Sooo, Who makes the bushes in your park, thay look real!

UP SD40-2

doctorwayne said:
Dean, I'm no expert on steam, especially stuff that's that much older than me!:D I would guess that your loco would've been around before the Golden Spike ceremony of the UP/CP, and would have been in service into the very late 1800's. It may have been upgraded to a coal burner, and lasted even longer. I believe that there's a similar loco in a museum in California: perhaps someone from that area can enlighten us both.

Wayne
Wayne:wave:, i THANK YOU VERY MUCH!, for giving me that info:thumb::D. that gives me something to work with:thumb: . THANKS Wayne!:D :D -Deano

UP SD40-2

Miles, THANKS!!, for some more info on that engine:thumb: . ALSO, THANK YOU!, for the complement on the park bushes:D . the bushes are Faller, Walther's # 272-181356;) . hope that helps:thumb: . :D -Deano

viperman

That park does look really nice. The flagpole and trashcan would make it look even better yet.

Nice steamer there too. One of these days I'll have to snap a pic of my first engine, which was a BN diesel.

I think I already posted a pic of the MP15DC with the caboose, but will have to check back a few pages
UPDATE: found the post, and here is a link...
http://www.the-gauge.com/showpost.php?p=217782&postcount=358

UP SD40-2

Steven, for the complements, I THANK YOU!!:D i would LOVE to see a pic of YOUR first engine:thumb: . THANKS, for posting the link(to my thread:eek:ops:hamr)to the MP15 and caboose too!:thumb: CRIPES, i am so sorry, i forgot you posted it:eek:ops:wall1tooth1. :D -Deano

viperman

One of these days I'll get a pic of that CNW car too. I THINK its a ballast car, but it could just be a different type of hopper, cool looking either way. The MP and the caboose are there yet, and in life the engine looks better than in the pic. Could be a different one, or even re-painted, dunno

UP SD40-2

viperman said:
One of these days I'll get a pic of that CNW car too. I THINK its a ballast car, but it could just be a different type of hopper, cool looking either way. The MP and the caboose are there yet, and in life the engine looks better than in the pic. Could be a different one, or even re-painted, dunno
i would like to see that CNW Steven:thumb: . if the UP was repainted, the number would probably be the same:thumb: .

UP SD40-2

NOT a great shoot, but after driving down the road that runs along side of the UP engine holding tracks at the yard Friday, i was inspired to do this:D . one thing i noticed while i was viewing the engines was, all the older units, and patched units were on the track closest to the road, while all the "better", "newer" units were on the inside tracks...wonder why?:confused: the public road i was on was about 80-100 feet from the tracks. ANYWAYS, heres a walk down the engine "holding tracks" on my layouttooth1. i set up 15 engines for the shoot, though you cant see them all:( . :D -Deano View attachment 31148 View attachment 31149 View attachment 31150 View attachment 31151 View attachment 31152

Attachments

• DSC08929.JPG
    DSC08929.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC08937.JPG
    DSC08937.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC08939.JPG
    DSC08939.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC08947.JPG
    DSC08947.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC08952.JPG
    DSC08952.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 91

viperman

UP SD40-2 said:
i would like to see that CNW Steven:thumb: . if the UP was repainted, the number would probably be the same:thumb: .
I just don't remember the number of the one sitting there now. I'd have to take a look

Nazgul

Hey Deano
You do more in one vacation day than most of us do all week at work!:D
But I finally figured it out......just don't sleep!;)

i set up 15 engines for the shoot, though you cant see them all
I'm sure I missed it but....you ever post a pic of your entire roster of sweet engines...That would truly be a beautiful sea of yellow:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Wow, those pics look cool Deano, and your dads park came out great.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Steve, Deano did already post a picture of all his UP engines in his last thread but he has gotten a few more since then, maybe he will do another!!:D :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.